The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Humbly Submitted - A Debut TN

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

WTN: Humbly Submitted - A Debut TN

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi Forumites! I have been exchanging a few PM's with Otto concerning my interest in sherry, as he had provided me with a recommendation for one of his favorites recently. I purchased a few bottles and opened one last night to evaluate on my own before serving it to our guests. The following is my TN which Otto strongly encouraged me to post on the boards ;) It is my first ever TN, not at all "Parkerite" according to O, and I present it for your evaluation.
:cool:

Gonzales-Byass VORS Apostoles Palo Cortado Sherry

The appearance of this sherry in my crystal held before candlelight dazzled me with the depth and allure of an enormous, precious topaz; a shimmering pool of Jurassic amber. What an intense and captivating nose! It wouldn't release me! I felt as though all my senses were bathed in warm honey and caramels and the scent continued to cling to me like a rare and expensive perfume. I may even try wearing it as one! Owing to the 20% alcohol, this elegant sherry has impressive legs; long, slim, sensual and languorious. My first taste was so intense that it was difficult to put into words initially. The Spanish word for semi-sweet is 'abrocado' and it describes the balance of sweetness of this sherry served at room temperature perfectly. It beckoned me to taste again and again, yet it compelled me to be still while it had its way with my tastebuds. I decided that a mouthful of this Palo Cortado is like a first serious kiss, embued with a passion that communicates understanding, intention and control. As for length...I stopped counting at 100 seconds and knew it would last much longer than I. It didn't disappoint!
Last edited by DebA on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Humbly Submitted - A Debut TN

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:13 pm

A fine Job. That makes me want to try this wine. Thanks for posting and we're looking forward to more!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:20 pm

This forum needs more tasting notes like this, and America needs more sherry-lovers like you.

Keep up the good work.

Joe
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Wow......

by TomHill » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Deborah,
What a great TN. If I were that verbose, I'd use up all the ///'s in my computer!! :-)
You make it sound like a life-changing experience. More notes like that and Robin's Site here is gonna become XXX-rated!! You probably wouldn't want to try it has a perfume...it gets sorta sticky as it dries.
I've had this sherry and it is's a good an example of a PaloCortado as I've ever had;
though not sure I have the writing skills to use those words.
Thanks for sharing the note with us. Indeed...an auspicuous debut!!
Tom
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:40 pm

Deborah,

I've enjoyed "meeting" you on the Sunday chat and am very impressed by your first contribution.

Keep up the good work,
All the best,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:54 pm

Got me excited in more ways than one!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:19 pm

Closest thing I've read to sex in a glass! :wink:

Excellent first-up tasting note, Deborah! Congratulations.

Hope to see you in chat next Monday morning .... err ..... Sunday arvo' ...... whenever ...... :lol:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:32 pm

This is the first TN I would describe as titilating. That's a good thing. Well done Deborah. I wish I could write like that. It almost makes me want to try sherry again. Maybe if you were pouring it... Oh wait, it's not that kind of forum! :lol:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:33 pm

I see an incredibly sexy woman standing in the shadows, a hat brim casting a shadow over most of her face, but not her luscious lips. She is speaking these words in a low, slow, sultry voice: "precious topaz; a shimmering pool of Jurassic amber"..."the scent continued to cling to me like a rare and expensive perfume" ..."like a first serious kiss, embued with a passion that communicates understanding".... And I see it all in black and white, kind of like a Bogart film. And I love it. More!!! MORE!!!!
Last edited by OW Holmes on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-OW
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:41 pm

Can one of our female forumites help before Deborah becomes scarred for life? :shock:
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Hey, why not have a "wine & eroticism" thread?

Could take us places we never dreamt of... :shock:

Alex R.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:53 pm

AlexR wrote:Hey, why not have a "wine & eroticism" thread?

Could take us places we never dreamt of... :shock:

Alex R.

Some things... some things are better left unspoken...
Last edited by JoePerry on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:13 pm

Howie Hart wrote:A fine Job. That makes me want to try this wine. Thanks for posting and we're looking forward to more!

Thanks much for the encouragement, Howie. Compelling you to try this wine was exactly what I hoped to accomplish. :cool:
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:18 pm

JoePerry wrote:This forum needs more tasting notes like this, and America needs more sherry-lovers like you.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

Thank you, Joe. I meant every word and truly was enthralled with this sherry. I would appreciate some of your recommendations, as I know you enjoy sherry very much as well and I have no idea where to go after this experience!

Deborah
Last edited by DebA on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:23 pm

Outstanding, Deborah! You needn't be humble, that's an ovation-rousing first effort.

To talk just a little about how we talk about wine, there are really two fundamental approaches: The purely analytical, and the personal/emotional. Both forms are valid, although you'll rarely see the latter from Parker or the Speck. You've done the personal style as well as I've ever seen it done, and I admire that.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

Re: Wow......

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:23 pm

TomHill wrote:Deborah,
What a great TN. If I were that verbose, I'd use up all the ///'s in my computer!! :-)
You make it sound like a life-changing experience. More notes like that and Robin's Site here is gonna become XXX-rated!! You probably wouldn't want to try it has a perfume...it gets sorta sticky as it dries.
I've had this sherry and it is's a good an example of a PaloCortado as I've ever had;
though not sure I have the writing skills to use those words.
Thanks for sharing the note with us. Indeed...an auspicuous debut!!
Tom

Thank you, Tom. It truly was a life-changing experience for me, and I will never forget it. Then, sharing my first TN with all of you was all at once exhilarating and nerve-wracking! I appreciate the encouragement.

Deborah
Last edited by DebA on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:30 pm

AlexR wrote:Deborah,

I've enjoyed "meeting" you on the Sunday chat and am very impressed by your first contribution.

Keep up the good work,
All the best,
Alex R.

I enjoyed "meeting" you too, Alex. We northerner's have to stick together! :) Thank you for your kind words as well, they meant a lot to me. As I am still very much a novice, I can scarcely believe that my TN could have impressed but I thank you for taking the time to encourage my effort.

Sincerely,
Deborah
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Got me excited in more ways than one!

Oh, my goodness, Carl. :oops: If I unintentionally contributed at all, I do hope your inamorata was left feeling as sated by the end of the evening as GB's Palo Cortado left me! :cool:
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:44 pm

David Lole wrote:Closest thing I've read to sex in a glass! :wink:

Excellent first-up tasting note, Deborah! Congratulations.

Hope to see you in chat next Monday morning .... err ..... Sunday arvo' ...... whenever ...... :lol:

Thank you kindly, David! It was definitely a memorable experience. It is true what they say...you never forget your first one. This sherry turned me upside down. I can hardly believe I've waited this long to have the privilege of enjoying this level of "intimacy" with a wine before! I hope to see all of you on Sunday as well.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:51 pm

James Roscoe wrote:This is the first TN I would describe as titilating. That's a good thing. Well done Deborah. I wish I could write like that. It almost makes me want to try sherry again. Maybe if you were pouring it... Oh wait, it's not that kind of forum! :lol:

Trust me, James, a confident woman never minds any effort of hers being referred to as titilating and knows it is a good thing, when wielded with discretion, of course ;) Seriously, thank you very much for the comments, as I value yours very much, and hope I truly have encouraged you to try sherry again!

Sincerely,
Deborah
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:07 pm

OW Holmes wrote:I see an incredibly sexy woman standing in the shadows, a hat brim casting a shadow over most of her face, but not her luscious lips. She is speaking these words in a low, slow, sultry voice: "precious topaz; a shimmering pool of Jurassic amber"..."the scent continued to cling to me like a rare and expensive perfume" ..."like a first serious kiss, embued with a passion that communicates understanding".... And I see it all in black and white, kind of like a Bogart film. And I love it. More!!! MORE!!!!

Why, thank you kind sir. You made my night, Mr. Holmes! To have put my heartfelt words in the context of a Bogart film noir...I'm stunned with your capacity to understand exactly where I was emotionally with this tasting. Were you peeking in my window? As an aside, there has never been, nor could there ever be, another Bogie. He was, to me, the consummate actor and professional. I also agree with you that B/W movies conveyed a depth and stark realism that color never can. As pretty as they may be to watch, they have little true depth. That is only seen when one strips away the distractions of decoration and leaves the nakedness of our wanting mortality behind. :cool:
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:08 pm

JoePerry wrote:Can one of our female forumites help before Deborah becomes scarred for life? :shock:

Too late, Joe...lol! Thanks for the thought though! :cool:
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:Compelling you to try this wine was exactly what I hoped to accomplish

Try it? I want to bathe in it!

Seriously, nice tasting note. Thanks for posting it.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:13 pm

Oh boy. "The nakedness of our wanting mortality..." WOW!!!
I could care less what topic you select. Just keep writing.....
-OW
Next