The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Copain "Hacienda Secoya" PN, Anderson Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2000 Copain "Hacienda Secoya" PN, Anderson Valley

by Jenise » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:16 pm

2000 Copain "Hacienda Secoya" PN, Anderson Valley

Garnet color. Nose of black cherry, thyme and caramel. On the palate, black cherry, cola, sarsparilla, more herbs and and a sweet, floral finish that Bob and I could neither identify exactly nor agree upon, but words like lavendar and candied orange peel were both tossed into the ring. What we do agree upon is that the color and flavor profile are spot-on for a middle-aged pinot, and this one is very fine. Has plenty of acidity, but the fruit development and creeping tannins in the finish suggest that its about at peak. Could hold here for a few years, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: 2000 Copain "Hacienda Secoya" PN, Anderson Valley

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks for the note, Jenise. Love that "thyme" descriptor--it captures a scent that I often get in PNs I like, but I haven't put my finger on it quite so precisely, till now.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 am

Thyme definitely described the nose on this one.

We loved the wine, Clinton. You can always tell the ones we love best because they take us the longest to finish the bottle as we're so happy sniffing and just taking tiny sips--this one lasted three hours. And hardly a hair on its head changed during that time--it will definitely hold here for a few years. Lovely wine. I bought a whole bunch of Copains this summer, can't wait to try them all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Just had the '02 Copain Dennison PN-very good wine witha burg nose and lovely palate flavors closer to red fruits. I'm really like the colder climate PNs.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:12 pm

Ditto re the cool climate PNs. I have a Copain Cerise in the queue--had that one?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:32 pm

Where could you buy a 2000 Copain? Auction????
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:41 pm

Yup. Bought four bottles each of this and and Hein, also two of the 01 Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah. Checked Cellar Tracker for TNs first, considering their age, and found strong TN's dated 2006 that convinced me to bid. Bought the 04 Cerise PN and the Zinfandel on another occasion.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:53 pm

The Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah should be great.. I'll be interested in your notes...

I haven't got into the auction thing yet. It seems a little intimidating... and just another drain on the budget. Have your experiences been positive????
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:13 pm

Overwelmingly positive. I've had a few bad bottles but, knock wood, absolutely no more than I run into buying conventionally. It also gives me the opportunity to taste many more hard-to-find wines than I would get to if I were paying full price, and from past vintages that have sufficient age on them, too.