The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Polenta, Fontina Cheese, Sausage and (too much?) Chianti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Polenta, Fontina Cheese, Sausage and (too much?) Chianti

by Brian K Miller » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:11 am

Two bottles opened tonight at the home of a charming coworker and friend. Polenta and cheese is awesome!

Chianti Classico La Selvinella 2001

Dark in the glass with a ruby tint to the edge.

Nose is not real prominent-some acid, definietly some bright cherry as the wine opens up/

This is reflected in the palette, with pronounced cherry notes, bright acid Definitely the lighter, brighter, more acidic Chianti-different than some of my earlier favorites.

** 1/2 - ***

Ruspoli Anagallis 1997-includes 15% Colorino and 5% Merlot.

A much different wine. Smoother, darker, more elegant, imo/

darker color, with the rim being visibly brick colored.

Nose is not as bright. acidic, or dominated by cherry notes.

Palate was also darker, smoother than the CCR above. My friend nailed it-pronounced plum notes-but not like American/French varietals. Mushroom, earth in the profiile as well-but no leather. Quite delicious. I would buy again except for the fact that this was the last bottle from the source in question (Nugget Market Vacaviille)

I did notice that the Chianti Classico was beginning to open up a little more later in the evening. I did have to drive home, though. :oops:

Both wines were very interesting and very enjoyable. The Anagallis was a little more to my personal taste. A good time was had. Good food, and my friend has very charming young chuildren, and a puppy (and my own three dogs put on a nice show, too :))
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WYN: Polenta, Fontina Cheese, Sausage and (too much?) Chianti

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 am

Polenta and cheese is awesome!

Yes indeed.

And so wine friendly.

Reminds me of some dishes i should start making again.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WYN: Polenta, Fontina Cheese, Sausage and (too much?) Chianti

by Brian K Miller » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:10 am

Especially when it's Val D'Aosta Fontina! If I had to pick one cheese in the world as my favorite, good, funky fontina is it!!!

I would buy the Chianti again and let it open up a little longer or even an entire day. I should have given it *** based on the last taste.

Has anyone else tried any all or mostly Colorino wines? I'm intrigued by the Anagallis.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach