The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Low Alcohol Weekend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Low Alcohol Weekend

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:43 am

2005 Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina 11%
Yes. Full and fresh, crisp and light, silver citrus, with that sparkling bead and salty nutty tang that has both a lovely presence in the mouth and an effervescent lightness in the mouth. These are wines to be drunk. That means you.

2004 Muller-Catoir Haardter Herrenletten Spatlese 9%
Firm young juicy and opulent without being heavy. This just continues to grow in clarity over three days, and is rippling with fresh firm fruit. I guess it’s fun now, but to my tastes it is way primary and more distinction should come with time.

2001 Muller-Catoir Haardter Herrenletten Spatlese 11.5%
And voila, to my tastes this is in a much more enjoyable stage than the 04. The texture has mellowed and weathered just a little bit, but there is still plenty of juicy almost tropical fruit, plus the glistening tingling piercing mineral acidity is clear. I wouldn’t mind drinking more of this again soon. If I wasn’t so busy with wines on backlog.

1998 Domaine Leccia Patrimonio Rouge
Ok fine, so this is not low alcohol, and I don’t even remember what the alcohol was. But I do remember that it was delicious. Resolved thinning red fruits with a meaty grippy kick on the finish. Flower petals and gravel. I don’t know about you but I like these wines. I just wish there were dozens more quality producers available to explore the variation in terroir.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Low Alcohol Weekend

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 am

So, Rashaan, I'm surmising that the Ameztoi is Basque and the Leccia is Corsican, right? If you found these stateside, any idea who imported them?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Low Alcohol Weekend

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:46 pm

The Leccia is Kermit Lynch and the Ameztoi is De Maison Selections.