The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '03 Ch De Segries...a damn fine Lirac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: '03 Ch De Segries...a damn fine Lirac

by Redwinger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:01 pm

2003 Chateau de Segries, Cuvee Reservee, Lirac

In general, I have not been a fan of the '03s from the Southern Rhone, but I guess every rule has exception. This was tight and shy at first but seemed to come alive after sitting on the counter for a couple of hours while we were distracted by those pesky customers. When I re-visited, the wine had taken on a black/dark fruit profile but somewhat strangely there was some raspberry notes that appeared from time-to-time. Some licorice, firm tannins and a nice core of acidity. Finishes with pepper and spice. The fruit is more forward and perhaps it is a tad less rustic than the 2001 version of this wine. I guess that is not totally surprising given the nature of the '03 vintage, but this forwardness does not detract from the overall package. This should improve/develop additional complexity with some bottle age. A very pleasing/pleasant wine for just under $14.

Imported By Kysela Pere & Fils, Winchester, VA

Redwinger

Disclaimer: I gladly recommend and sell this wine to people.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: WTN: '03 Ch De Segries...a damn fine Lirac

by wnissen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:48 pm

I'm still sitting on my 2003 Segries, thanks for the report that these need air. The 2003 Segries Cotes du Rhone was to my taste one of the best 2003 reds I tasted. Really, really fruity without the baked taste.

There's a 1999 Segries Lirac that was one of the first wines I bought to age; now's about the time to see what's inside...

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: '03 Ch De Segries...a damn fine Lirac

by Redwinger » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 am

Walt,
I wouldn't argue with your decision to let the 2003s sit a bit. As I said, a bit of time should help. Also, if the 2001 I opened about 18 months ago is any indication, the 1999s should be entering prime-time. Please post a note when you pop one.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Segries CdR. I don't recall seeing it in this market, but will be on the lookout for it...sounds like something I would enjoy.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!