The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two QPR Rhones...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two QPR Rhones...

by TomHill » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Tried these last night:
1. LaBergerie SainteCroix Viognier Vin de Pays d'Oc (13%; 6 months sur lie) 2005: Pale yellow color; attractive pear/Viognier slight stoney/earthy nose; fairly soft/lush pleasant clean/pear/Viognier light earthy flavor; very short light pear/Viognier finish; a pleasant/attractive/simmple Viognier; good for the price at $5.99
2. Baileyana GrandFirepeakCuvee EdnaVlly Syrah FirepeakVnyd (14.1%; EG) Christian Roguenant 2003: Very dark/black color; intense chocolaty/blackberry/Syrah rather peppery slight toasty/smokey/oak very interesting/spicy nose; tart bit lean/tannic intense blackberry/Syrah cracked black pepper light toasty/charred/oak slight mocha/espresso flavor; long some tannic/hard intense blackberry/Syrah/chocolaty/espresso light toasty/smokey/oak finish; needs several yrs; like an Alban CentralCoast but w/ structure; a terrific Syrah for $24.00
1. Just wanted to try a few things w/ my pasta. I'd stopped at TraderJoe's last night and was going to try the NapaRiver Chard at $4.99, but spied this Viognier and thought it might be a better "throw-away" wine. It was surprisingly good for a $6 wine. But I was even more impressed by the Baileyana; it had lots of things going on and a real QPR champ.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Two QPR Rhones...

by Jenise » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Tom, refresh my memory. Is Baileyana another KJ project?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope...

by TomHill » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:37 pm

Not a K-J project. Owned by a family named Niven.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Two QPR Rhones...

by Hoke » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Tom: Just an FYI, but you might check on the Baileyana winemaker status.

I judged at the last San Diego International Wine Competition, and my panel selected a Baileyana (like you, I was quite impressed by their wines) for consideration for the entire judging panel for sweepstakes wine.

The guy who made the wine was there, and he indicated that was the last wine he made, then he moved on. So Baileyana has a new winemaker. Don't have any idea what that means in terms of how the wines will continue, but wanted you to be aware of the changes.

HH