The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

High alcohol wines ... is this getting worse?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: High alcohol wines ... is this getting worse?

by TimMc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:31 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:First, is anyone but me noticing this, that the high alcohols of the '90s are getting even higher and hotter in the '00s?

Sure ... plenty of us have noticed this. In fact, I listed this as my choice for the most annoying wine trend in a Forum Survey that ran earlier this year. I shudder when faced with a lighter red wine, like Pinot Noir, boasting almost 14.5% alcohol. At that level, I may as well find a fuller bodied Syrah that can handle that elevated ABV content.

-- Clark

Well....as long as we're putting screw caps on the wine seems like high alcohol content is a good thing, doesn't it?
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:45 am

TimMc wrote:
ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:First, is anyone but me noticing this, that the high alcohols of the '90s are getting even higher and hotter in the '00s?

Sure ... plenty of us have noticed this. In fact, I listed this as my choice for the most annoying wine trend in a Forum Survey that ran earlier this year. I shudder when faced with a lighter red wine, like Pinot Noir, boasting almost 14.5% alcohol. At that level, I may as well find a fuller bodied Syrah that can handle that elevated ABV content.

-- Clark

Well....as long as we're putting screw caps on the wine seems like high alcohol content is a good thing, doesn't it?
I fail to see the connection, Tim, unless you're going on about white port in a paper bag again.
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

by Carlo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:51 am

If everyone hates high alcohol wines then put it to the test. Which wines do you like?
Put it in a bag and do the taste test and see.
I like the high stuff as long as it`s balanced. I like a full flavor Pinot.
I`m not fond of a 12% Pinot. No Flavor ....Whimpy
IMO
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:16 am

Victorwine and Robin,

Thanks for the welcome.

Ben
Previous