The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NY Times on a wine pilgrimage to Georgia, the cradle of wine.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

NY Times on a wine pilgrimage to Georgia, the cradle of wine.

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:04 pm

A Pilgrimage to the Cradle of Wine is a well written and researched story about a visit to a five acre plot of grapes and walnut trees.

The photographs are outstanding; I particularly liked the platform for stomping grapes.

This wine shop sounds irresistible: "But afterward, drop by the Marani Wine Shop (32-93-45-63), a little storefront in the center at 18 Pushkini Street. The owner, Nugzar Melikishvili, carries many of the country’s best wines, and offers samples from unlabeled stocks he gets directly from local winemakers. His supply of domashnaya chacha, a homemade Georgian grape moonshine, can also be grand, if scorching. Have a free sample. (He will typically sell you a liter of the stuff for less than 5 lari. Do not drink it all in one sitting.)"

Free registration required.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: NY Times on a wine pilgrimage to Georgia, the cradle of wine.

by Paul B. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Bob, a fantastic article - thank you for posting this.

I have long had a soft spot in my vinous heart for authentic Georgian wine culture and that of the Eastern/Southeastern European countries. We hear far too little about it, but this article has done a good job bringing these ancient winemaking countries to the fore.

Thank you.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca