The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: In a clearing stands a Boxler...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: In a clearing stands a Boxler...

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Dinner with Kriss Reed and his friend Carolyn the other night in Long Beach. We had a lovely tasting menu at a place called Fora and opened 3 wines (and were brought a glass of another).

Unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the Grüner Veltliner that Carolyn brought. I was not familiar with the prodcuer (or importer) so it did not stick in my head. But the wine sure did. It had that mid-palate richness that I so love in a good Grüner, with substantial fruit and classic pepper. What did surprise was that while it was good with the food, it did not sing with any of the expected items until the peppery greens that came with the main course. Still an excellent wine. Perhaps Kriss will get the info on what it was.

We then moved onto a bottle I picked up right before dinner at a shop just down the street from the restaurant.

2004 Albert Boxler Riesling Grand Cru Sommerberg
This had no L code anywhere on the front or back label, but did sport a JV on the back, so I assume it was some kind of young vines cuvee. Well whatever it was delicious. All kinds of tree fruit, limes, cherries and other mingling scents. Plenty of structure and just beyond off dry (truth be told, I would prefer it a touch drier). The finish was very focused and showed off more of the acid spine. Still not much in the way of minerality (young vines...), but given how delicious it was I really don't care.

2000 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne Romanée Aux Malconsorts
The rumors have been that the 2000s are drinking well, and this is no exception. It did take a bit of time in the glass to flesh out, but after that there was a very rich, meaty nose and lots of red fruit on the palate. The acid balance is very good, and the depth is more than acceptable. I would not hold bottles of this for a long time, but it does give a lot of pleasure now.

We had been sharing our wines with the staff, and afetr a while one of them came back with a glass of 1979 Dujac Gevrey Chambertin Aux Combottes that was just lovely. It had fully developed bouquet of red fruit, earth, forest floor and rich caramel and drank just like silk. Wonderful stuff.

Another lovely night in SoCal that provided happy memories for my less than thrilling flight home (Long Beach to Phoenix to Charlotte to Hartford).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Great Title!

by Charles Weiss » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Great Title!
Especially if original :)

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Great Title!

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:24 pm

Clearly not original, but appropriate. Forgetting even the Simon & Garfunkel issues, it has no doubt been used by someone named Iverson at some point in time.
Decisions are made by those who show up