The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent Whites

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

WTN: Recent Whites

by Charles Weiss » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:04 pm

• 2001 Weingut Karlsmühle Kaseler Nies'chen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Ruwer (10/15/2006)
    Impeccably balanced. Given the vintage I'd be surprised if the must weight wasn't spatlese level, but it is off dry and ideal for the dinner table. Apple and some citrus fruit notes, just a whisper of honey, and more minerality than earthiness. There are bigger names, but does anybody make better wine in the Ruwer these days?
  • 2005 Domaine de la Louvetrie (Pierre Landron & Fils) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Amphibolite Nature - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (10/15/2006)
    Lots of earth and minerals, components I generally value highly, and plenty of acidity, but somehow I found the package to be more of a chore than a pleasure. Perhaps a better food match would have helped, and likely age as well. I won't be buying this at the expense of Briords.
  • 2000 Trimbach Gewürztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC (10/8/2006)
    Off-dry, lots of richness, but not the expected lychee and roses. Some bitterness at the finish. Botrytized grapes? Certrainly good with a cheese selection, but not up to my expectations.

Charles
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: Recent Whites

by Marc D » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:55 pm

I haven't gotten around to opening the 05 Briords yet. For current drinking pleasure the 2005 Luneau Papin Clos des Allees is great. I liked the 05 Pepiere regular a lot but it is tight and needs to be open a day or two to show its best, based on a bottle a couple of weeks ago. The Clos des Allees was singing right from the first pour. It seems a little more fruited than the very minerally Pepiere.

Thanks for the notes,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:03 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:[list][*]2001 Weingut Karlsmühle Kaseler Nies'chen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Ruwer (10/15/2006)
Impeccably balanced. Given the vintage I'd be surprised if the must weight wasn't spatlese level, but it is off dry and ideal for the dinner table. Apple and some citrus fruit notes, just a whisper of honey, and more minerality than earthiness. There are bigger names, but does anybody make better wine in the Ruwer these days?

I really like the few Karlsmühles I've tried. I think Karthäuserhof might make better wines, but I really think life is best with both of them available. Kart seems to be rather more austere in style (or is it just the vintages I've tried?) than Karl, but both are IMO true Ruwer in style. I love both. To me, Karlsmühle is a big name.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Another fan of Karslmuhle here. I recently had a 2004 spatlese that was very good, and I was impressed with their 2005 line up.

I've got some 2001s stashed away. Perhaps one might get opened on October 27th.
Decisions are made by those who show up