The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Provence offline-Hampshire UK

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

Provence offline-Hampshire UK

by keith prothero » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:40 am

• 1988 Domaine de Trevallon Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux - France, Provence, Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux (10/16/2006)
    Wow,a animal,farmyard,shitty nose,but this gives way to deep bouquet of black fruit.Lovely silky texture.Great balance and super finish.I love this wine,and the nose led me to Bandol and mourvedre so was surprised once more,when revealed to be Trevallon.Still has plenty of life left in it too!! Outstanding (93 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Lafran-Veyrolles Bandol Cuvée Spéciale - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep purple. Fragrant,perfume and animal notes.Great nose!! On the palate,lovely red fruit with savoury spicy flavours.Great balance and long length.A truly outstanding wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Château de Pibarnon Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Very deep purple.Fragrant farmyard notes with pepper and spice. Cherries and licquorice on palate,rich creamy texture,good length.Lovely wine OK still young but drinking well Excellent. (90 pts.)
  • 1991 Domaine de Trevallon Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux - France, Provence, Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux (10/16/2006)
    Deep red. Expressive nose of the mediterranean!! Olives and herbs.Nice black fruits,licquorice,a little tight perhaps but very nice wine with good finish.Very good/excellent (89 pts.)
  • 2002 Domaine Tempier Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Very dark purple.Fruit and animal nose.Plenty of berries and herbs on palate with elegant supple tannins.Obviously very young and wil improve. A lovely wine.Very good.excellent. (89 pts.)
  • 1985 Château Pradeaux Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep red. Farmyard smells,black fruits and olives,Lovely black fruits,creamy texture,supple and elegant wine,nice long finish.Once again thought this wine was much younger.Very Good/excellent (88 pts.)
  • 1995 Domaine de Trevallon Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux - France, Provence, Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux (10/16/2006)
    Dark plum.A nose of raspberies and mulberries with chocolate.Nice bouquet and well balanced,fresh with ripe tannins.Very Good/excellent. (88 pts.)
  • 1998 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Migoua - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Dark red.farmyard nose,aromatic,cloves and olives.Quite sweet on palate,but grippy and seductive.Nice length.Perhaps a touch disappointed,when revealed as my Migoua as I was expecting a little more. Very good however. (88 pts.)
  • 2001 Bunan Bandol Moulin des Costes - Charriage - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep red. More animal and spice notes. Black fruits and olives,quite oaky and a little austere.Nice length .Very Good (88 pts.)
  • 2001 Tardieu-Laurent Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep purple. Wow.we are really in the farmyard!! I love this smelly nose,typical mouvedre and possibly my favourite nose of the night!! Black fruits and spice on palate,which perhaps is not so impressive as nose.Nice wine though which will no doubt age well. Very Good. (88 pts.)
  • 2001 Château Jean-Pierre Gaussen Bandol Vin de Pays du Mont-Caume - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep purple. Usual and now very familiar mourvedre nose.Spices,olives and cloves with black fruit.A little too astringent for my taste and not as good as some other wines we have had tonight---------or maybe it is just my palate turning leathery!! May have the designation wrong as I gather this is the Cuvee Longue Garde. Very good whatever. (86 pts.)
  • 1984 Bunan Bandol Château La Rouvière - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep plum .Animal nose,with quite complex fruit,supple grippy and seductive.Medium bodied,fairly acidic,and rather astringent on finish.Guessed at early 90,s Bandol.Just amazed at how these wines still taste relatively young!! Very Good. (85 pts.)
  • 1988 Domaine de Terrebrune Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    Deep Red. Srawberrries,some spice on nose,but on palate quite fruity,very different to other wines in this flight,not especially enjoyable,a little short and possibly faulty? Thought this may have been a young Trevellon and very surprised at age and Producer. Good (85 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine La Suffrene Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (10/16/2006)
    getting lazy now.CellarTracker only lists this but it is the Cuvee des Lauves. Animal nose but rather unpleasant hospital aromas/bandaid!!Maybe this is faulty but I cannot really detect any fruit .Late in the night!! Good maybe (84 pts.)
  • 2003 Domaine de Trevallon Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux - France, Provence, Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Les Baux (10/16/2006)
    Dark purple.Nose of rich fruit,very sweet and almost jammy on palate.Too much perfume and not enough substance.The dud of the night,and the first wine I would not want to taste again.When revealed as 2003 Trevallon,can only assume the hot vintage affected the wine.Do not think time will help much Good . (84 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Provence offline-Hampshire UK

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:15 am

Terrific notes Keith. I believe you had these wines with an assortment of pies and mushy peas!! We are tasting Bandol this month on the other forum here.
Classic, reference points notes i`d say.
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

Re: Provence offline-Hampshire UK

by keith prothero » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:29 am

Thanks Bob, I am sure others will post on wine-pages better and more comprehensive notes,as I missed off about 6 wines including a few of the whites which I did not really rate.
Some lovely wines,made in Bandol though--------quite distinctive and they age incredibly well.