The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

August Wine Focus: Summer sippers!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

August Wine Focus: Summer sippers!

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Revised intro from this week's 30 Second Wine Advisor, Wine Focus: Summer sippers!

It has been the hottest and most humid summer around here for a very long time. As a matter of fact, our local forecast folks recently mused that the average temperature here in July was the hottest since 1936, which marked the epicenter of the Midwest's infamous Dust Bowl.

This probably helps explain why I mentioned last week that it's not really a time for powerful Ports or heavy reds. Which raises the obvious follow-up question, "What do you like to sip on a steamy August day?" (Or, for those Down Under, a steamy January day.)

Does it really make any difference what wines we drink in this age of air conditioning? Or can it be both-and rather than either-or? Do we soldier on as usual with the wines we enjoy at the dinner table, but indulge in something lighter and more refreshing on the patio or at a picnic? Would you order the same wine inside the restaurant during this season as you would at a sidewalk table? And so it goes.

And while we're at it, do we even like the term "sipping" with regard to wine, a term which - like the currently trendy "juice" - almost seems to deny the reality of its status as an adult beverage.

We're talking about subjects such as these as we turn our attention to summer sippers in this month's Wine Focus. Let's taste - and talk about - our favorite summer sippers.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: August Wine Focus: Summer sippers!

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Do a couple of Coronas at a faux Mexican outdoor place in Poland count?*

*I just love dining out with my co-workers... :?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Do a couple of Coronas at a faux Mexican outdoor place in Poland count?*

*I just love dining out with my co-workers... :?

Hey, but that sounds like a great cultural experience! It's not always my first choice but it can be interesting to see different cuisines interpreted for different cultures.

How was the food?
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:05 pm

We were invited to a friend's cottage yesterday and I brought one of my favorite summer sippers to have with the appetizers. We had some crackers and humus plus some nice meatballs with a mustardy barbeque sauce. The wine went really well with the meatballs and together they both tasted better.

Wine
Solid deep pink. Beautiful expressive nose of strawberries and red fruit (typical rose nose). Luscious midpalate of strawberries, red plums and ripe apples with juicy acidity. Decent medium length finish of fruit and acidity. Nicely balanced. This wine was an excellent sipper. :)

2010 rose Cabernet d' Anjou, Vignoble Regnard 11% abv
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Just back from a butterfly survey in the low Rockies east of Jasper, aka Cardinal Divide. Tented as usual and brought along some Yalumba Viognier S Aust.. Drinking companions included a Gray Jay/Whisky Jack and a Red-mantled Ground Squirrel.

This was the `09, SC as usual. Light lemon color, nose had typical citrus, pear and lycee. Very gluggable as always, pineapple, peach and pear. Good acidity, crisp, refreshing. This is a sipper folks!

http://ecologyadventure2.edublogs.org/n ... -squirrel/

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... CEkQ9QEwBg
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:37 am

Rahsaan wrote:Hey, but that sounds like a great cultural experience! It's not always my first choice but it can be interesting to see different cuisines interpreted for different cultures.

How was the food?

The Coronas were the best part. The food was decidedly mediocre, even allowing for the interpretation aspect. The chicken taco was passable. The tamale was anything but. Taco Bell does a vastly better burrito, with higher quality meat.

The place was packed, so people clearly like it.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The Coronas were the best part...The place was packed, so people clearly like it.

Ouch!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Hey, but that sounds like a great cultural experience! It's not always my first choice but it can be interesting to see different cuisines interpreted for different cultures.

How was the food?

The Coronas were the best part. The food was decidedly mediocre, even allowing for the interpretation aspect. The chicken taco was passable. The tamale was anything but. Taco Bell does a vastly better burrito, with higher quality meat.

The place was packed, so people clearly like it.

Where are you in Poland? I'm sure that you have sniffed out at least a couple of the very good beers that Poland has to offer and also some good (if perhaps hearty) food. I'm not a Vodka guy, but when in Poland...

na zdrowie,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 pm

No Coronas on the patio but some shrimp vol au vents and chicken skewers. Wine was the `10 Vinhos Sogrape Vinho Verde Quinta de Azevedo. I think many here have tasted this great white so here is my impression. Medium straw color/hint of green, lovely aromatics on the nose...melon, pear, grapefruit. Off-dry, zippy, good acidity, nice minerality with a slight spritz. "Citrus, pear" from across the table. Most present enjoyed the two bottles I had.
no avatar
User

Karina Zhen

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

by Karina Zhen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I normally like to stick to dry wine, nothing sweet year round. If I do drink sweet wine, I'd stick to the ones that contain the natural sugar with no additional sugar added. Although on picnics or outdoors, I'd like something that is more refreshing and bubbly!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

[WTN] Gazela Vinho Verde

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Gazela Vinho Verde ($6.99)

Clear, pale straw color, with a rush of tiny bubbles that ring the glass when the wine is poured. It's not really a sparkling wine, but light carbonation makes for a refreshing prickly mouthfeel. Slight but appealing scents of pear and lemon lead into a crisp white fruit flavor that follows the nose, slight sweetness well cloaked by fresh-fruit acidity. Feather-light 9 percent alcohol and a bargain price make it a winner for summer sipping. U.S. importer: Evaton Inc., Stamford, Conn. (Aug. 4, 2011)

FOOD MATCH: Food-friendly and versatile, it goes with just about anything. We enjoyed it with Italian eggplants from the garden with mushrooms, sauteed onions and green peppers and a little fresh-tomato sauce.

VALUE: I would back up the truck at the wine shop door even for my local $6 retail, and Wine-Searcher.com reveals prices as low as $4.75 among its abundant "hits."

WHEN TO DRINK: The old wisdom held that Vinho Verde fades so fast that it's best enjoyed only in Portugal and only during the summer after bottling. Now, though, the sturdy modern screwcap - a rarity in Portugal, capital of the cork trade - works well for Gazela, protecting freshness and keeping the light carbonation intact across the Atlantic and perhaps for a year or so. (This is a non-vintage wine, but check the find print on the back label, where "2011" following an obscure code on the back label suggests that it's the current 2010 vintage, bottled this year.)

WEB LINK: Here's a link to a winery fact sheet (PDF) in English on Gazela Vinho Verde:
http://www.gazela.eu/n_7835779064995860a32828.pdf

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Find vendors and compare prices for Gazela Vinho Verde on Wine-Searcher.com.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Gazel ... g_site=WLP
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Yesterday I finished off a bottle of 2010 Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose' (only a glass left.) It was a coral color, slightly deeper shade that a Cabernet Franc rose' from Saumur opened at the same event. I noted light red berries on the nose and unripe strawberry and some citrus in the flavors. Refreshing and tangy. Seems to be a reliable rose' from year-to-year and often found for $11 or less in USA retail shops, making it a good QPR wine.

We finished off a church wine tasting fundraiser on August 5 with Renardat Fache Bugey Cerdon and several types of chocolate including dark chocolate/raspberry bars. Bugey Cerdon as some of you know is a sparkling rose' from France with a bit of residual sweetness. It is from Gamay and Poulsard grapes and usually only 7.5 or 8% alcohol by volume making a light, sprightly beverage. I only had a small taste and didn't take notes on it but have another bottle to open later this summer. It can be located for about $20-$22 a bottle.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Have been looking out for the Mulderbosch here but no luck. Last vintage was a great wine.
no avatar
User

Lori F

Rank

Just got here

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:54 am

by Lori F » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Just discovered a great summer sipper - pairs great with the sunset on my deck! A Sauvignon Blanc by Robledo Winery. Not too sweet, not too dry - perfect with bbq oysters or just the light evening breeze! Lori
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Lori F wrote:Just discovered a great summer sipper - pairs great with the sunset on my deck! A Sauvignon Blanc by Robledo Winery. Not too sweet, not too dry - perfect with bbq oysters or just the light evening breeze! Lori

Sounds delicious, Lori! And if I may, allow me to welcome you to our forum. Your first post was a good one ... :)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 pm

I've been drinking mostly white wines and rose' wines this summer but taking a different tack...
2009 ACHAVAL FERRER MALBEC, MENDOZA, ARGENTINA is a great match for smoked, grilled or barbecued meats. 14.5% alcohol by volume. From high-altitude hills. Very dark purple. Totally opaque.

Layers of fruit, ripe and mellow, with mild, sweet tannins and a slightly peppery finish. Approachable now but could probably age a few more years without detriment. Nice match to the St. Louis ribs at a July 30th church fundraiser event. At home I paired it with thick-cut pork chops baked and seasoned with garlic salt and sage and moistened with extra virgin olive oil. The last five minutes of baking I added Rosenberg Danish bleu cheese on top of the chop. Side dish was fried green beans.

The wine is really quite delicious (IMHO). I liked it better at home than at the fundraiser but that may have been because it needed more aeration. I had planned to decant it but was hauling so much food and wine to the church that I decided to leave the decanter at home.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:37 am

2005 Domaine de la Pepiere Clos des Briords
I had read in some circles that this was opening back up after being tight for a while. Well teh glacial cellar says "no way" as it's still very closed in. Yes there's mountain stream stoniness and some tart citrus, but it's just lacking in any sort of pleasure beyond base refreshment value.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Lori F wrote:Just discovered a great summer sipper - pairs great with the sunset on my deck! A Sauvignon Blanc by Robledo Winery. Not too sweet, not too dry - perfect with bbq oysters or just the light evening breeze! Lori

Add my welcome too Lori, I have been here since day one or near then. Once you feel comfortable with us, you might want to tell us where you are. Lots of very enjoyable wine people inhabit this little corner of the internet.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Hey all! Sorry I haven't been around for awhile - the craziness of summer has all but completely overwhelmed me the past several months - but it is good to be back on WLDG!

My favorite summer sippers, or "patio pounders", as I like to refer to them are rosés. Here are a few of my favorites:

2010 Bieler Père at Fils, "Sabine", Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Rosé
2010 Nigl, Zweigelt Rosé, Kremstal, Austria
2010 Domaine Gris des Bauries, “Les Estras”, Côtes du Rhône Rosé

Cheers & happy sipping!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Joy Patton wrote:Hey all! Sorry I haven't been around for awhile - the craziness of summer has all but completely overwhelmed me the past several months - but it is good to be back on WLDG!

My favorite summer sippers, or "patio pounders", as I like to refer to them are rosés. Here are a few of my favorites:

2010 Bieler Père at Fils, "Sabine", Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Rosé
2010 Nigl, Zweigelt Rosé, Kremstal, Austria
2010 Domaine Gris des Bauries, “Les Estras”, Côtes du Rhône Rosé

Cheers & happy sipping!

Hi Joy,
I like rosés in summer too, but heck I also like them in fall and with certain dishes like roast chicken, in winter. If you see them on the shelf buy one of Steve Edmunds rosé called Bone-Jolly which is 100% gamay, and/or the ch. Lancyre form Pic St. Loup, which is a blend of syrah, grenache and cinsault. either one will stand up to some pretty good food.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:51 pm

At lunch last week at my favorite restaurant, three of us had an Albarino from the Rias Baixas region of Spain. It was really nice and crisp with the mixed seafood and enough acid to complement the rich sauces we had. I just bought a bottle, my first Albarino for home consumption actually, the 2010 made by Morgadio (just under $20 at an expensive shop) and am anxious to try it - maybe this weekend.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Two from the Loire:
2007 Clos des Briords Cuvee V.V. Muscadet Sevre et Maine sur lie, Marc Ollivier, Domaine Le Pepiere. 12% abv. David B. said the 2005 was closed but this seemed open. Essence of crustacean shells and sea breezes. Tangy grapefruit on the palate. Balanced acidity with pleasing aftertaste. Nice!

2008 Chateau d'Epire Cuvee Special Savennieres Grand Cru d'Anjou, Loire white wine. Imported by Kermit Lynch. $25.99.
13.5% abv. Label show the chateau. Medium-gold color with richness. Transparency. Lots of minerality. Muted citrus notes with white pepper. A web posting says that this producer goes for a demi-sec style of Savennieres.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 pm

WTN:`09 Bodegas Muga Branco Rioja.

Lots of great citrus aromas as well as flavors with floral hints on nose as well and some white stonefruit. Very tasty, refreshing when butterfly surveying and it`s plus 35 degrees.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 am

JC (NC) wrote:2008 Chateau d'Epire Cuvee Special Savennieres Grand Cru d'Anjou, Loire white wine. Imported by Kermit Lynch. $25.99.
13.5% abv. Label show the chateau. Medium-gold color with richness. Transparency. Lots of minerality. Muted citrus notes with white pepper. A web posting says that this producer goes for a demi-sec style of Savennieres.

Where was that web posting? I've never gotten that sense myself. Although I don't drink the wines religiously or anything.
Next