The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines from lunch - Franciscan Magnificat, Sea Smoke Botella, Gunderloch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Wines from lunch - Franciscan Magnificat, Sea Smoke Botella, Gunderloch

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:06 am

Gunderloch Riesling QbA 2004 - I suppose Gunderloch's most basic, generic Riesling. Lots of apple character. Good acidity. Medium-sweet. A good match for the smoked salmon.

Franciscan Oakville Estate Magnificat 2002 - Berries, and a little hot on the nose. Medium to full bodied, soft tannins. New-worldy mocha and chocolate flavors predominate on the palate. A little bacon also makes an appearance. Finishes long. Very harmonious and a real crowd pleaser. Could possibly improve a little more with cellaring but very impressive now. I can't believe Spectator gave this 80 points. I've recommended this to a few people and so far all those who have tried it enjoyed it immensely. Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Cabernet Franc.

Sea Smoke Botella Pinot Noir 2004 - Strong strawberry aroma. Quite sweet, juicy, ripe, very forward flavors. Dense for Pinot Noir. 14.7% alcohol but all in balance. Probably not a style that will appeal to all but I enjoyed it. Good for drinking now.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wines from lunch - Franciscan Magnificat, Sea Smoke Botella, Gunderloch

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for the notes Jay. I am always happy to see Gunderloch notes. I think they are vastly underrated for their whole range of work, even if the Jean Baptiste Riesling is vastly overrated to my taste.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Wines from lunch - Franciscan Magnificat, Sea Smoke Botella, Gunderloch

by Jenise » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:57 am

Always impressed with the wines that float your way, Jay, like Sea Smoke. Small production, a rare wine even here.

Wine Spectator only gave the Franciscan 80 pts? Odd, that's like damning it straight to hell--nobody remembers that 80 pts is categorically a 'good' wine even if on the lower end of the scale, a score lower than 89 to the those who rely on the Spectator's ratings is purgatory. I hope that the score meant you got a particularly advantageous price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:17 am

Jenise wrote:Always impressed with the wines that float your way, Jay, like Sea Smoke. Small production, a rare wine even here.

Wine Spectator only gave the Franciscan 80 pts? Odd, that's like damning it straight to hell--nobody remembers that 80 pts is categorically a 'good' wine even if on the lower end of the scale, a score lower than 89 to the those who rely on the Spectator's ratings is purgatory. I hope that the score meant you got a particularly advantageous price.

The Sea Smoke was courtesy of a friend of mine who was able to get on the mailing list. You'd be surprised what other cult stuff comes over. I know a couple of people on the Harlan list. I've been able to get some Matriarch from Bond. Even the occasional Screaming Eagle makes an appearance! I know some people who are also interested in bringing Corte Riva wines here. After all, the owners are Filipino.

The Magnificat was my contribution for the lunch. When I told my host it got 80 from WS he said that's a sure sign the wine will be outstanding.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 pm

I've been on the Sea Smoke mailing list for several years and I'm quite fond of their wines. I agree that it is really sort of a pinot noir on steroids. I also like French style pinots as well but the Sea Smoke is a good change of pace once in awhile when you really want to feel the fruit but without the heaviness of some bigger reds.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: even if the Jean Baptiste Riesling is vastly overrated to my taste.

Really David? I think it's a great little wine. It really hits that "Halbtrocken" sweet spot of fruit and cats-claw acid. It has the Rheinhessen trifecta of sappy stone fruit, flower blossom, and gingery dirtiness. Plus it's all Nackenheimer Rothenberg Kabinett fruit. At $15, what's the problem?

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

Re: WTN: Wines from lunch - Franciscan Magnificat, Sea Smoke Botella, Gunder

by Jeff Yeast » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:12 am

I would have rated that wine a bit higher than WS, but I do prefer Franciscan's varietial wines more than the Magnificat. Leslie and I were at the winery in July and we attended a blending seminar where they talked us through the blending process and gave us barrel-samples of Cabernet Savignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot--all varietials that they use to blend their Magnificat, but not always all of them, as with the 2002. Anyway, at the end we got to blend our own wine and then compare it to the 2003 Magnificat. I think we both made better wine :lol: IIRC I used 40:40:20 cab sav to merlot to cab franc. I really like Cab Franc though :P