The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Montes Cabernet Sauvignon Chile. Great QPR.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Montes Cabernet Sauvignon Chile. Great QPR.

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:37 am

2004 Montes 'Reserve' Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Chile. $8.99; $7.19 in a mixed case. Sparrow Wine and Spirits, Hoboken.

Deep red color, deep hue, good aroma of fruit, spices and earth, a bit of oak, but not overwhelming, good fruit tastes with spice, chocolate and earthen notes, medium mouth feel, smooth tannins, soft and sipping quality, medium finish. Opened nicely in the glass. Great QPR for quite a nice wine. 3*.

Regards, Bob

Notes: T.G.I.C. Imports: 80,000 cases were made and 15,000 were imported and distributed nationwide.

Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher: Best of tasting of under $20 Chilean wines and best value. Confident wine, with proud, rich tastes of earth, herbs and bittersweet chocolate. Some intensity and structure. Outrageous bargain. Probably will last through 2007.

RestaurantBiz.com Aurelio Montes is a busy guy. Besides his winery, founded in 1988, he consults for a number of top Chilean producers. He’s a cutting-edge winemaker, taking advantage of modern techniques and equipment but acute to the demands of terroir, a feeling for his homeland, especially the shoulders of the Andes where Montes wines are grown. This bottle from his second tier is full of soft ripe fruit, raspberries accented by cinnamon. It gets structure and firm tannins from American oak. American consumers will appreciate the wine’s international style.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Montes Cabernet Sauvignon Chile. Great QPR.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:05 am

Nice wine Bob, think I posted on this one last month!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:26 am

I had a vague memory you did, but, tried this one on the fly and didn't check was on WLDG before posting.

A pleasant wine, quite good at the price.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Nice wine Bob, think I posted on this one last month!

I thought it was the higher graded Montes Alpha, but I'm easily capable of being wrong.

Whatever, IMO both are great value at typically attractive prices. I find them a bit like the model pupil that works really hard and always performs well in class, albeit without the instinctive talent of the best.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:52 pm

Montes does nice work on all their reds as far as I'm concerned. They keep the price low and the juice in good supply. It may be a little spoofed, but it's not Californicated.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:09 pm

I saw the WSJ article and was going to search it out since I was so impressed with their recommended CdR Chave from last week. The American oak and international styles seems a little too much for me but this thread was worth the read. I now have a new very discriptive and visual word in my vocabulary, Californicated, thanks to James.
Walt