The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Frank Peillot Roussette du Bugey Altesse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

WTN: 2004 Frank Peillot Roussette du Bugey Altesse

by wnissen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 am

Click the link to see the label.
  • 2004 Frank Peillot Roussette du Bugey Altesse de Montagnieu - France, Savoie, Roussette du Bugey (4/2/2006)
    $22 at K & L Wines, 12%. 100% altesse, a grape used in Tokaji, though in Hungary it's known as furmint. I had been itching to try this ever since bringing home a bottle from the Real Wine Assault (Notes typed up, but I need to enter them into CellarTracker). Lovely nose of underripe strawberries (I know, wrong color scent for this already golden wine) that I also get from Cerdon du Bugey that contains no altesse. The "T" word at work? Also mineral and faintly resinous aromas. Faithful palate, superbly balanced, delicious with lingcod in lemon-caper sauce, and if I'm not mistaken, rounded by a half percent of residual sugar. Very Good.

Posted from CellarTracker.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2004 Frank Peillot Roussette du Bugey Altesse

by Jenise » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:16 pm

Walt, we had a bottle of this wine last year, and really enjoyed it. It tasted like a blend of which half was old vine chenin--I don't know what the other half would have been, but something with stronger acidity that grows well in warm climates.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:36 pm

'Makes me thirsty - I just love the grape and producer but haven't found it at retail yet.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:11 am

Walt,

Did you try the 03 version of this wine? I was wondering how they compared. For me this was one of the whites from The year of the Sun that I thought was pretty successful.

Thanks for the note.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

David T

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 am

by David T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 am

Thanks for the note. Is it really true that Furmint and Altesse are the same grape? I'd heard they were related, but not that they were the same grape under different names.

One thing I'd add is that while this is a terrific wine young (and the pinnacle of fondue wines, I think), in my experience it hasn't aged the way I expected. I think I have 1 of the 1998s left, and the last two bottles were nearly dead; a '99 also faded more quickly than I expected. I'm hoping for a resurrection on the last 1998 . . .
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:02 pm

Marc D wrote:Walt,

Did you try the 03 version of this wine? I was wondering how they compared. For me this was one of the whites from The year of the Sun that I thought was pretty successful.

Marc,

I have not had this before in any vintage, but it wouldn't surprise me that 2003 could be delicious, given the cool climate of the Loire.

David,

In this case I'm repeating what I heard from the winemaker, which could be incorrect. I'll check the Oxford companion and see. Too bad you are on the wrong continent, I would be extremely curious to try an aged version, despite falling apart. This was my only bottle, so I won't have a chance to see what happens with time.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:10 pm

I looked at the Oxford Companion, and Mrs. Robinson says that M. Galet says that furmint and altesse look mighty similar growing side by side. However, there's no concrete evidence that they are the same.

Interestingly, she also says that altesse ages well, but that in Bugey often chardonnay is (legally) used for Rousette de Bugey. Just when you think you have a handle...

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

David T

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 am

by David T » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:33 pm

Walt,

Thanks for the sleuthing. Where are the UC Davis types when you need them? I guess I really have no way of guessing from taste how similar they seem to be, since I've never had either a dry furmint or a botrityzed Altesse made with a putton.

As for the aging, all I know is that the '98-'99 Peillots didn't fare well even 5 years out. I guess further research will be needed, in the name of science.

David
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:16 am

Coming in late here! I did some sleuthing too and came up with Rossette de Savoie. Wonder if Jamie has anything on this one?