The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

December: Holiday Sweets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: December: Holiday Sweets

by Bill Hooper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Interesting discussion on Gewurztraminer, learnt something here.

January Wine Focus?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Texier Opale hits the need for something sweet. The low alcohol is a bonus.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:50 am

WTN: 2010 Michele Chiarlo Moscato d`Asti Nivole, Piedmont It.

L B181, 5% alc, from 375 ml, popped and poured. Always delicious, honeysuckle, nectarine, floral, peach nose. Nice refreshing effervescence on entry, lengthy, peach, not that sweet at all and does not cloy. "Candied orange" from across the table, very nice and consistent wine from Michele C.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:11 pm

I sampled both of these wines at retailer tastings this past week, and already posted these notes in the main forum, but they also fit with this month's topic of sweet wines.

1992 Casa Vinicola Carpineto Vin Santo del Chianti Classico DOC “Farnito”
70% Trebbiano Toscano and Malvasia; the other 30% are other white grapes. From 500 ml bottle. Oxidative nose. Lightly to moderately viscous, well balanced, with caramel, nutty, sbaking spice, and orange oil notes. Very good+.

1995 Azienda Agricola Fontodi Vin Santo del Chianti Classico DOC
Blend of Malvasia and Sangiovese. From 375 ml bottle. Somewhat oxidative, lightly to moderately viscous, focused, with good underlying acidity. Shows notes of cherries, caramel, roasted nuts, and raisins. Are the cherry notes from the Sangiovese, perhaps? I can’t recall ever having had a Vin Santo made with any red grapes. Excellent.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Hétszőlő, Tokaji, Aszú, 6 Puttonyos, 2001

The relevant chapter in Tom Stevenson's Wine Report calls 2001 a problematic vintage due to mold that called for ultra-careful selection. It looks to me as though Hétszőlő made that effort.

This is dried apricots in the form of liquid toffee. And then there's the botrytis. The effect of the botrytis here is so complex and patently different than what I have experienced in, say, Sauternes - dusty and finely etched on the nose, spicy on the palate, where the long finish kicks ass with little regard to finesse. The sugar, fruit, acidity and low alcohol work very well together, and it's probably a good thing this wine is relatively outspoken, as my palate would have missed any subtleties at this point. Lovely and I can only imagine what an aged specimen from a better vintage would do to my taste buds.

This cost me about 50 USD for a 500 ml bottle from K&L.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Matthew Latuchie

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:41 am

Chicago, IL

by Matthew Latuchie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 pm

I had a 2005 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Clos de Sainte Catherine last night that was super as usual. This is right up there in the value department, too. This bottle was purchased from Calvert Woodley for ~$30 a couple years ago and punches far above its price. It has remarkable freshness to it with beautiful white florals, vivid orchard fruit and a fresh linen tone that's beautiful.

I've brought this bottle to many dinners and it's always been a crowd pleaser...
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:36 pm

From earlier this week:

NV Azienda Agricola Fratelli Muratori – Giardini Arimei Passito Secco dell'Isola d'Ischia
A blend of 40% Biancolella, 30% Forastera, 10% Uva Rissa, 10% San Lunardo and 10% Coglionara; although Biancollela is a Campanian coastal standby, and Forastera is a key white variety in Ischia, I couldn’t find out much of anything about the latter three grapes. Since the Ischia DOC does not currently allow for a Passito version, this ends up being a “mere” Vino di Tavola.
From 500 ml bottle. Orange marmalade/nutty/green spice nose. Full-bodied, moderately viscous, dry, with moderate acidity, albeit rather high in alcohol. (Interestingly, the producer’s website lists the alcohol at 14%, while the importer (Wine Wave)’s label say 16%.) With the higher alcohol, it takes on the feel and richness of a vin doux naturel. Tastes somewhat oxidative, with nutty/sugar cane/coffee/buttered rum/tangerine flavors. Good length/depth. Almost certainly a unique wine – even if there are a few other Ischian wines using these grapes, a dry white passito/vin de paille/strohwein/schilfwein is not anything that I have ever heard of before.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: December: Holiday Sweets (2 for after dinner)

by JC (NC) » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:52 pm

1989 Chateau d'Orschwihr Riesling Vendange Tardives, Alsace France.
I saw another note on this on the web recently. We both purchased it from Macarthur Beverages (Bassin's) in DC in 375 ml. bottles. On sale cost was $19.99. 13.5% alcohol. Brassy gold color with transparency. Botrytis nose along with very ripe apricot. Tastes a bit maderized. (spelling?) It may have been on sale because it was going over-the-hill. Not really that enjoyable IMHO. Stone fruits in the flavors--apricot, peach and pear, but tasting a bit stewed.

Kopke 20 Years Old Port 375 ml. bottle. 20% abv. Matured in wood. Bottled in 2008. Produced in the Douro demarcated region. Sole US importer: Wineworth, L.L.C., Bellevue, WA.
Rich amber color. Fragrance of nuttiness, dried fruits, alcohol fumes. Viscosity, leggy. Flavors of pecans, prunes, dried apricots. Rather strong alcoholic kick with a pleasant, warming finish I expect from tawny ports. Background notes from the wood barrels used in the aging process. Hint of caramel toffee. I find this enjoyable and reasonably price compared to other 20-year-old ports but there are some houses I like better (which are more expensive than Kopke.)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:01 pm

I thought I might be the only one to post on a Vin Santo but Andrew Bair beat me to the gulp--twice--this month.

2002 Castello di Meleto Vin Santo del Chianti Classico (DOC), Italy.
14.5% alcohol. This wine matures at least three years in small oak casks. Imported by Vias Imports Ltd. First tried at a Fayetteville (NC) Wine Society dinner.

Plum/prune scents similar to a Port. Hints of brown sugar and creme brulee crust. Quite enjoyable. Probably could be served over ice cream but I enjoyed it on its own as an after-dinner sipper. I was surprised how similar I found it to be to a tawny Port but with lower alcohol.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:45 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I thought I might be the only one to post on a Vin Santo but Andrew Bair beat me to the gulp--twice--this month.

2002 Castello di Meleto Vin Santo del Chianti Classico (DOC), Italy.
14.5% alcohol. This wine matures at least three years in small oak casks. Imported by Vias Imports Ltd. First tried at a Fayetteville (NC) Wine Society dinner.

Plum/prune scents similar to a Port. Hints of brown sugar and creme brulee crust. Quite enjoyable. Probably could be served over ice cream but I enjoyed it on its own as an after-dinner sipper. I was surprised how similar I found it to be to a tawny Port but with lower alcohol.

Hi JC -

Thank you for the note. I have not had this Vin Santo, but will have to look for it. Vias is generally a very reliable importer in my mind.
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

Two German Sweeties

by win_fried » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:29 am

Hi,

this is not a formal tasting note but we opened on Christmas a

1976 Bernkastel-Cueser Kardinalsberg, Beerenauslese, Weingut Anton Zimmermann
which was amazingly fresh and well balanced.

and a
1994 Kallstadter Huxelrebe, Beerenauslese, Weingut Speckert-Ruprecht which had the nice aromatics of the Huxelrebe but showed more signs of age.

Winfried
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Popped a 2003 Barberani Orvieto Classico Calcaia Dolce after Christmas dinner that I personally imported in my suitcase on the way back from Italy in 2006. It was pleasant and fresh with an orange citrus quality, but not very concentrated at all. I think there are better desert wines that can be had for the same price area.

What was far more impressive was the 1973 Rioja Alta 904 that we enjoyed with the fillet mignon. Beautiful nose of earthy and subtle ripe red fruit smells. Soft and very mature on the palate but with great acidic balance and a faint note of cherries. A real nice old Rioja.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:33 pm

My December holiday sweet was 1971 Hattenheimer Wisselbrunnen Beerenauslese from Adam Albert. I posted a WTN in a separate topic.

Heinz Albert managed the family estate, which had some of the best vine parcels in the Rheingau, especially in Hattenheim, during the 1970s and 1980s. He produced exceptional wines in 1971, 1976, 1983, and 1989. Unfortunately he suffered from back trouble, and maintaining the steep hillside vineyards became too much for him. There was no suitable successor, and so, sadly, one of the great Rheingau estates ended up being sold off to the local vineyard cooperative.

This estate's 1983 and 1989 Spaetlese wines from Hattenheimer Wisselbrunnen gave pleasure from their release for another 10 years.

The 1971 and 1976 Adam Albert Auslesen and Beerenauslesen from Hattenheimer Hassel and Hattenheimer Wisselbrunnen were, and continue to be, astounding testaments to the art of German sweet wine. They are different from, but IMO equal to, d'Yquem.

I bought four bottles of their 1971 Hattenheimer Wisselbrunnen BA. I don't remember the occasion when I opened the first one. I served the second one on my grandfather's 92nd birthday in the mid-1990s. I opened the third on the fortieth anniversary of the harvest of the grapes for this wine, and it is still liquid gold.

I am in no hurry to open the fourth bottle. Maybe for my 60th birthday in 2115.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I know this is technically past the wire, but I figure things will be slow here today.

2002 Weingut Weegmuller Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Auslese Pfalz
$30ish

Now I could see the case made that this is not really a desert wine, though I read somewhere that this iteration had BA level must weight. While it could play both side of the regular table or full on sweet wine team, for our purposes it definitey can play here. The cork absolute disintergrated when I tried to pull it out. Ruh roh Scooby. In the end I could only drill a hole through one side of the thing. Had to do a a bit of bobbing for cork parts. The wine though was remarkably intact. And what a wine. This is my first Scheurebe. The color was on the golden (ticket) end of the spectrum. Botrytis in the nose, along with apricot, magic honey fruit, and a quivering note of pure solid light. I realize light isn't an aroma but still. Medium full body with a very balanced sweetness. The acid is working right behind that sweetness. Behind every great sweet wine, etc. etc. Stunning wine. I'm going to go get more come Monday.

This was a Terry Theise selection but I note that Weegmuller is no longer in his portfolio. Anybody have any idea why? I also understand the Hans Gunter Scwhartz consults/consulted with Weegmuller, though I'm not sure if he was doing so in 2002. Any other insights into Weegmuller from the assembled would be appreciated.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Very envious of these Scheurebe notes and thoughts posted here, all wines mentioned not in my area!
We do however have access to Gray Monk Scheurebe from the Okanagan but would never compare to what you lot are drinking.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am

As a follow up question to my inquires above, does anybody know who imports (or if the wines are imported) Weegmuller now? I can't seem to find anything on the interwebs. MacA's in theory still has some bottles but it's all from this vintage (one older) and nothing more current.
Previous