The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: ABC'S

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: ABC'S

by Florida Jim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Arbois, Beaujolais, Cornas, Sherry:

2002 Overnoy/Houillon, Arbois Pupillon:
Slightly orange at the rim; wild strawberry, mineral, orange skin on the nose; light in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose, some flesh, bright acids and beautiful balance; medium length, intense finish. 12.5% alcohol and “nothin’ but net.” Superb. I’d definitely buy it again at $23.

2004 Terres Dorées (Brun), Fleurie:
Fresh raspberries dominate the nose; more diverse on the palate with red raspberry, mineral, red cherry flavors that have depth but come across light and lacy, good grip, silken texture and perfect balance; long, finish that tastes like I just ate a spoonful of fresh raspberries. This is glorious stuff; 12% alcohol and in no danger of falling off – but I can’t possibly avoid drinking another ASAP. The best $19 wine in the history of the world, the galaxy and the universe; if only it were still in the market. And with grilled chicken with potato, mushroom and escarole hash, just plain out of this world.

1999 Juge, Cornas Cuvée C:
The lighter side of the appellation with underbrush, black olive and red fruit elements on the nose; medium weight, a very alluring complexity as the elements of the nose expand into layers of earthy flavor, solid acidity and lovely balance; medium length finish. A wine of finesse and detail with an almost hidden structure. And maybe just a little closed, right now, as this has a sneaky concentration. If I could find it again at the $35 I paid, I’d buy a lot. ‘Wonderful with olive bread, toasted cheese sandwiches and a chunky, broth-based tomato soup.

Solera Bodegas Dios Baca, Sherry Amontillado:
Sautéed walnuts, dried fruit peel, slight yeasty tone; semi-dry in the mouth with flavors that echo the nose, an oily texture and an infinite finish. 18%, so I have to be easy with this stuff, but with appetizers or tapas, I can’t imagine it getting any better. I also tried the fino from this house and it is bursting with fresh fruit and yeast notes and mouthwatering. I will buy both of these again at about $18 per.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: ABC'S

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Thank you very much for the sherry note Jim. That's a class of wine that I really want to explore.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: ABC'S

by Florida Jim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Thank you very much for the sherry note Jim. That's a class of wine that I really want to explore.

David,
I highly recommend this house.
I don't know if it is available where you are but a call to Kevin Hogan at the Spanish Table in Berkeley (510-548-1383) will get you the info. that you need. I will be ordering more shortly.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars