The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

January Wine Focus: The South of Italy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: January Wine Focus: The South of Italy

by Tim York » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:50 am

Carl Eppig wrote:2009 Corvo,Sicilia, Nero d' Avola. Alcohol level: 12.5%. This a very nice low price medium bodied wine. We enjoyed it tonight with mac'n cheese, and peas. Very nice.

I wish I had been as lucky with my Nero d'Avola; but perhaps it wasn't really luck, Carl, because Corvo is a reliable label, if not often exciting.

In previous WFs and OMs I have often indulged in a lucky dip at the local supermarket to see what the appellations under review can provide on a casual basis without seeking out geek approved producers. In some areas like Languedoc and the Rhône it works quite well even at low prices here in Belgium, but it didn't with this Nero d'Avola :( .

Nero d'Avola IGT Sicilia Spadina Una Rosa Signature 2010 - bottled by B.C.A 1875 S.r.L., Marsala - Alc.13.5% - (c.€8,50). This is the sort of wine I really dislike and called to mind some spoofy Shiraz without the American oak. The nose was strongly scented like some dark fruit soft drinks with a lot of sweet blackberry notes and several dashes of coarse spice. The palate was heavy, quite fruity in a "bramble" style, scented and quite sweet but coarse with a harsh edge on the finish. This style could be popular (but not in Belgium I would guess) but we couldn't manage more than a glass each; the rest will go into a stew hoping that it won't spoil it; 11/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 am

Oh dearie me Tim! Found this doing a google, just for interest sake. Maybe you should have squirreled away the `02, grin wink.

The 2002 vintage of this wine was on Wine Spectator's Top 100 wine list in 2005. Since the 2003 vintage in Sicily was equally fine, expect this not-yet-reviewed vintage to be similarly spectacular. This Nero d'Avola is big and meaty with mineral and blackberry tones, exceptional balance, and good ageing potential (5+ years)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:53 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Oh dearie me Tim! Found this doing a google, just for interest sake. Maybe you should have squirreled away the `02, grin wink.

The 2002 vintage of this wine was on Wine Spectator's Top 100 wine list in 2005. Since the 2003 vintage in Sicily was equally fine, expect this not-yet-reviewed vintage to be similarly spectacular. This Nero d'Avola is big and meaty with mineral and blackberry tones, exceptional balance, and good ageing potential (5+ years)

Bob, that confirms my opinion of WS's Top 100 :D .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 am

Hey. What is on deck for Feb? I'd like to throw unclassified Bordeaux into the hat, or if it needs to be white, Chardonnay outside of CA and Burgundy.

The poor (zero) selection of southern Italian wines here excludes my playing this month.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:50 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Hey. What is on deck for Feb? I'd like to throw unclassified Bordeaux into the hat, or if it needs to be white, Chardonnay outside of CA and Burgundy.

The poor (zero) selection of southern Italian wines here excludes my playing this month.

Cheers,
Bill

Yeah, it's time to start thinking about next month. There was some concern at the outset that this topic would be too limiting for people in many parts of the country/world. We really do need to keep these topics accessible and interesting or there's not much point in keeping it pinned to the top of the forum.

I could go with unclassified Bordeaux - are you talking about strictly AOC Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superieur, or just anything below the five growths of the 1855 Classification?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Excuse me Robin but the subject this month was very educational and interesting for those who took part. It also meant I put out some cash for certain wines which helped the local economy!! You cannot blame the subject if a large number of people do not want to contribute here. S Italy came up on the UK forum this past month and the response was very active.
Tim and Oliver were great stalwarts this past month eh.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Excuse me Robin but the subject this month was very educational and interesting for those who took part. It also meant I put out some cash for certain wines which helped the local economy!! You cannot blame the subject if a large number of people do not want to contribute here. S Italy came up on the UK forum this past month and the response was very active.
Tim and Oliver were great stalwarts this past month eh.

Bob, I'm always happy when even just a few good folks participate in any Wine Focus, but it's still only a marginal success when we pick a topic that brings in only the regulars. For Wine Focus to thrive, we want topics that reach out to a broad public, not just a wine party for the usual suspects, as much as we love the usual suspects. :)

Always remember, Bob, we welcome your tasting notes and conversations even when it's not under Wine Focus or Open Mike. And you don't need the forum's permission to buy (or drink) wine. 8)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:10 pm

After my disappointment with the spoofy Nero d'Avola on which I posted this morning, I need to remind myself that other Sicilian producers, and not just on Etna, can produce results with far more finesse. So here are tasting notes from last October, where serious wine merchant has chosen a Sicilian producer who gives much better results.

Valle dell’Acate, Sicily, attempts to draw as elegant a result as possible from Sicilian conditions.
Vittoria Insolia DOCG 2010 (€10) was a remarkably fresh white (NB Insolia is the grape variety) for the climate with lively acidity, a saline touch and juicy fragrance; 15/20++.
Syrah Case Ibidini IGT 2010 (€9) showed quite full body, nicely fragrant cherry note and good fruit intensity only slightly marred by caramel notes on the finish; 15/20.
Nero d’Avola Cerasuolo di Vittoria DOCG 2008 (€14), which contains about 30% Frappato, was much more lively than most Nd’A with some fragrant fruit and tangy acidity (Frappato’s contribution?); 15.5/20+.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Rather late for this month's Wine Focus, but January isn't over yet:

2010 Cantina del Taburno Falanghina Taburno DOC
Medium-bodied, dry, well balanced, with moderate acidity; shows apricot, almond, and citrus aromas and flavors. Very good value for $14.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I could go with unclassified Bordeaux - are you talking about strictly AOC Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superieur, or just anything below the five growths of the 1855 Classification?

Sorry for the late reply. The definition isn't important to me, just the idea of focusing on Bordeaux outside of the 5 Classified growths and the big name right bankers. Bordeaux for the everyman if you will.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 am

WTN: 2003 Firriato Baglio Soria Santagostino, Sicily.

14.5% alc, $28 Cdn, medium red ruby colour, slight bricking. Nose has some great spice, boysenberry, blackberry. No heat here, some cherry as it opens.
Big cherry fruit here, raspberry, soft tannins, dried herbs. Has some ripe tones, full-bodied, nice lingering finish, lots of grip.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 pm

I spent years looking for Nero d'Avola to represent then realized I generally don't really like the variety, which was sort of a relief. It sometimes smells like coconut oil even without American oak, and the wines often show a Shirazzy note (as Tim said) that isn't my cup of tea at all.

I love Frappato, though, and it does add a sort of Pomegranate freshness and verve to NdA.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
Previous