The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2001 Villa Sandi Raboso del Piave and Rossini

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

2001 Villa Sandi Raboso del Piave and Rossini

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:39 pm

Tonight we had our first rehearsal on stage at the Academy of Music for Rossini's Cenerentola. 18 of us in the men's chorus and principals all acting like complete fools, utterly influenced by the electrifying rhythm of Rossini's comedic tempos: sharp, consistent, and vibrant. This is how I felt when I had Villa Sandi's 2001 Raboso del Piave with dinner. What a zippy and zingy Veneto varietal! It's delicious black cherry/licorice notes were highly enhanced by the gripping tannins and piranha acidity that zapped my tongue. Instead of having it with whole wheat penne with orange pepper/tomatoes and garlic, next time some meat will be the perfect match. Intriguing varietal!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: 2001 Villa Sandi Raboso del Piave and Rossini

by Saina » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:21 pm

I've only had one Raboso - but I fell in love with the tangy, herbal, acidic style of that particular wine, that I've been trying to find more.

Rossini rocks also and Cenerentola is fun. Here are some clips: Agnes Baltsa singing a bit of Non più mesta (bloody brilliant)

Teresa Berganza singing the whole aria (also bloody brilliant)

I wish I could get a clip of the best of all recordings, that of Conchita Supervia's from the late 1920's.

I won't forget the tenors either :) : Sì, ritrovarla io giuro from Juan Diego Flórez

and, funnily enough sung in English by one of the most famous Rossinian tenors (but whom I've for some reason never warmed up to) Rockwell Blake.

Three cheers for Tangy grape varieties and good singers and Rossini! Thanks for the note Paulo! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: 2001 Villa Sandi Raboso del Piave and Rossini

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Otto, Agnes can rock my joint anytime she likes.
Still have that buffering problem, stop start stop start every few seconds. Wish I knew the answer!
***edit, "rock my joint" means come on over!!!