The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wine-o-wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Wine-o-wine

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:24 am

2005 Pierre et Rudolph Gauthier Bourgueil “Jour de Soif”
Never heard of these people, but they’re organic, boasting a catchy label, and the wine is good despite that. Ripe round and juicy but crisp bit a mineral bite. This was brought to my table and I did not complain, although I might not seek it out.

2005 R&B Plageoles Gaillac Mauzac
Warm year here, ripe yellow and sunny, but crisp firm and very drinkable. Nice way to start an occasion. Any occasion.

1997 Edmund Vatan Sancerre Rouge
Classic stink of “old wine” upon opening, so I pass it around to my Eager Housemate to ensure that she understands what happens when you leave wine alone for several years. That said, moving beyond the desiccated dead library, there is plenty of life in the wine, which is vibrant and feathery in the mouth. Not the most complex, but clear and lovely. More please.

1998 R Lopez de Heredia Vina Bosconia Reserva Rioja
Hard berries and leather that are a bit sour on the palate for several hours. As time passes I do warm up to its charms, the dark mature savory-ness and all the fragrant aspects. So there is some pleasure. But it’s a bit too sour and simple for the $37 IMHO.

2005 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett
Lovely wine. Lacy ethereal fruit, with a juicy Warm Year feel, but then a kabinett bite on the finish. Interesting breed of wines these Warm Year kabinetts, not quite sure how to categorize, but plenty of fun and for those who love Mosel Sorbet on the tongue, please enter at will.

2002 Edmunds St. John California Syrah “The Shadow”
This starts off quite expressive with juicy porky syrah. Fun stuff, I’m convinced. But, over several hours it puts on all kind of weight and complexity and really stuns me for the price. ($11.50 if you didn’t know) Deep, floral, elegant, refreshing, minty, porky, earthy, berries, etc, etc… Yes.

2001 Edmunds St. John Los Robles Viejos Rozet Vineyard Paso Robles Red Wine
Starts off ripe and sweet but with the right amount of air everything is grooving into place and the slippery greasy juicy plums are just so gorgeous, seductive, ripe, and refreshing, all at the same time. While drinking this bottle I had to acknowledge that the synergy of multiple grapes does have its place. Harmony achieved.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Wine-o-wine

by Bill Hooper » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting breed of wines these Warm Year kabinetts, not quite sure how to categorize

Indeed Rahsaan -those from the Brauneberg in particular. So many sites, so many producers, so many vintages. No wonder we lovers of German Riesling have so little time on our hands.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:04 am

I'm surprised at your note on the Bosconia. It sounds a lot like the 97 I had, where I would have expected the 98 to be better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:34 pm

I knew Rashaan was in on the conspiracy to keep as many ESJs on the west coast as possible! Nice notes.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:46 pm

I'm surprised at your note on the Bosconia. It sounds a lot like the 97 I had, where I would have expected the 98 to be better

I was surprised too, I don't follow much in rioja and I'm no expert on the vintages, but I had been led to believe that 98 would have been more "substantial." Can't be sure if it had been sitting out on the floor too long or what. But I've also been informed by Msr. Perry that the price was about $10 too high, so in general I'm just chalking the whole bottle up to a loss.