The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Roc de Cambes, Puligny, Cahors, etc at cd release party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Roc de Cambes, Puligny, Cahors, etc at cd release party

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:26 pm

Betsy has put together a CD of Sufi vocal/cello/tamboura improv, and a friend decided she should have a release party. Another friend offered her (much more spacious that ours) home, and last night was the night. A bunch of friends pitched in (including someone to rig speakers to another room when it became clear acceptance rate exceeded our predictions- thank goodness for cool modern house one where could see through glass walls into another part of house). Betsy did a small selection, and then the party started. Nice canapes, mint tea (there was a vague Middle Eastern theme), and a bunch of wines. These I sampled:

The bubbles
NV Roederer Estate Brut
Lots of ripe apple fruit, a little hint of yeast. A little sharp at the finish, but ok for California bubbly. B

NV Renardat-Fâche Bugey Cerdon
Pink and frothy, fun & lively. I think of this as a summer wine so was clearing cellar, but on a cool fall night it had plenty of fans. Strawberry fun, nothing complex but tasty. B+

The still whites

2005 Haut-Rian (Bordeaux Blanc)
I had really liked the 2004 for the money, and was prepared to be a little let down. But I like this as much as the 2004- bright sprightly SB fruit, a little grapefruit spritz on top of green apple, with a little grass. B+/B

1994 J.M. Boillot Puligny-Montrachet
This was part of a mixed case of white Burgundy (probably mostly over the hill) that I picked up for a pittance. Actually if the other bottle of this is as good as this one, I'll feel ok even if the rest of the case sucks. Pretty honied pear fruit with a hint of peaches, some butterscotch and earth. Nice length. Maybe not extraordinarily complex, but fine and youthful white Burg. A-/B+

2005 Cartlidge & Brown Chardonnay
Typical CalChard, fairly priced example with light tropical fruit and a bit of toasty oak. Round with a hint of sweetness, B.

2004 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
My last bottle was slightly disappointing, but this one was back on track. Clean appley Chardonnay fruit, some mineral, nice finish. B+

The still reds

2004 Iche "Les Heretiques" Vin de Pays d'Herault
Several bottles of this went down quickly. Warm black plum and berry fruit, some herbal notes and nice if not especially long finish. Still a $7.xx QPR winner. B/B+

2001 La Fleur Peyrabon (Pauillac)
I had liked this in a restaurant from 375, but this 750 bottle seemed a bit thin. Moderate fruit, balanced acidity, light tannins, but not much depth or finish. B-

1994 Roc de Cambes (Cotes de Bourg)
Still some tannins hanging tight here. But good ripe black cherry fruit accented by mocha, ripe and modern but with some Bordeaux earthiness. Surprisingly plush texture for a 1994. Hit of the party for the red wine crowd.. B+/A-

2000 Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
I find this a very pleasant lighter wine, with balanced acidity, clean cherry fruit, and good length for its level. More fruit-seeking drinkers find it too light, but for me a B/B+

2004 1919 (Finca Noceti) Syrah (Mendoza)
Overripe blackberries and a little manure, vanillay oak sticking out on top. Not my style, but quickly emptied. C+/C

2002 Chateau Lagrezette Cahors
Intense, with black plum fruit framed with licorice and spice. Too tannic for my tastes (at least with this lighter food) but probably could be nice with some cellar time. B

Good night of music and friendship.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Roc de Cambes, Puligny, Cahors, etc at cd release p

by Saina » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Sounds like a nice evening. As a fan of Sufi poetry I would be very interested to listen to CD! Can you give me a little more details to go on so I could find it on Amazon?

What is that 1919 Syrah? Was it really from that year, thought the description doesn't sound like it?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Roc de Cambes, Puligny, Cahors, etc at cd release p

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Ack, had to edit. "1919" is the brandname, I went to doublecheck the year (2004, Mendoza) and then forgot to put it in. Fixed now.

The Cd is mostly prayers by Hazrat Inayat Khan, plus a couple of modern poems and a Arvo Part instrumental. I'll note when samples are up on cdbaby (should be next week).