The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A sensational American chenin blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A sensational American chenin blanc

by Jenise » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:19 pm

The 2010 L'Ecole No. 41 Columbia Valley (Washington) chenin blanc is a stunner. Don't know that it would remind anyone of the Loire Valley--there are no honey flavors here--but it's no chardonnay-wannabe either. It's a pale, clean, bright and lively white that causes everyone I pour it for to take one sip in between sentences about other things and then halt, demanding to know, "What's THIS?" From a cool vintage, with flavors of white flowers, lime, green banana and sweet herbs with real-deal acidity and a lengthy finish, this wine should do some nice things with more time in the bottle--if you can keep your hands off of it now. It's the best domestic chenin I've had, and maybe the only one I'd call good. And it's really really good. $15, on shelves now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: A sensational American chenin blanc

by Hoke » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Marty do make some good stuff, don't he?
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

Jenise:
It's the best domestic chenin I've had

Good enough for me. Just ordered a case.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

Wow, a customer! :) But good for you, it's an unusual good and unusually atypical American wine. We're having a series of cool vintages up here and wines like this are something to look forward to.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:59 pm

According to the website it's sold out! I didn't find it at any of my usual suspects, where was this got? Is it a Whole Foods type of thing?

BTW how are their other offerings?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 pm

When visiting Calgary, I picked up a bottle of 2008 Field Recordings Jurassic Park Vineyard CB, Santa Ynez Valley. Only 380 cases made, unfiltered too. Anyone know this one?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Kelly Young wrote:According to the website it's sold out! I didn't find it at any of my usual suspects, where was this got? Is it a Whole Foods type of thing?

BTW how are their other offerings?

I live in Washington state so have a local supply, not sure where Dan found it, Kelly.

As to their other offerings, when we first tasted the Chenin we also tasted their Semillon which was a very capable wine, if you like Semillon. Such was the Chenin though that It was hard to be fair to the Semillon at the same sitting, especially if you tasted the Chenin first. These are the first two L'Ecole whites I've had. Their reds are good--sturdy, well-made--but I've not been completely wowed by any but for some well-aged Apogees.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 pm

I ordered from a place in New Jersey. After filling out all the forms and sending in the order I got a reply saying that they had only 6 bottles (didn't they know that before accepting the order?). We went back and forth and finally agreed on a price of under $15 a bottle including shipping.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Psst - Jenise - seems like a great bottle to save for a bocce get together when summer comes!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Psst - Jenise - seems like a great bottle to save for a bocce get together when summer comes!

Noted!
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 am

Found a bottle of 2013 L'Ecole Chenin Blanc while in Ann Arbor. As good as ever. Sorry it never appears on wine shelves around
here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Found a bottle of 2013 L'Ecole Chenin Blanc while in Ann Arbor. As good as ever. Sorry it never appears on wine shelves around
here.

Other than the big producers like Chateau Ste Michelle, and nowadays Charles Smith whose name you might not recognize because he makes so many different labels but which nonetheless pegs him at 3rd largest in the state with 650,000 cases, in my travels the further east one gets, the fewer WA wines you see. Haven't tried the 2013 myself--must do!