The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Pegau, La Jota, Kurni and others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

TN: Pegau, La Jota, Kurni and others

by Jim Grow » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:31 pm

We always have a big lasagna and wine feast in Athens (Ohio) the night before we go to D.C. on our annual wine-buying trip and this year we had the following wines;

2000 Merryvale Profile, a Bordeaux blend from Napa. It was smooth and complex with light currant and plum flavors and a note of Eucalyptus and olive.

1999 Archipel, a wine made by Verite winemaker Pierre Seillan. This was a funky wine with strong mushroom and vegetable flavors that moderated over time to show more plummy fruit. I liked it but most may not.

2002 Honig, sweet cherries and soft tannins, not complex buy yummy!

2002 Pegau Res., (although it did not state this on the neck). This was on sale in D.C. for $24 and I liked it for $34 previously so, even though weaker than most years, a still interesting Pegau. The one we tried in D.C. was corked but another from yesterday was fine. I stocked up on these to be consumed withing the year.

2000 Kurni Oasi Degli Angeli, a wine from the Marche region of Italy, the sour cherry fruit was highly extracted with an earthy, dustyness and reminded me of an Amarone. Very nice but also very young.

1992 La Jota Anniversary, this bottle shows no brick color and looks and tastes like a much younger wine. Sweet and sour dusty cherries, smooth tannins and lots of sediment. Excellent.

2004 Rene’ Mure Gewurztraminer Traditional, for $13 a real deal with lots of rose petal, good acidity and just a touch of spicey pear. I’m glad we found this one.

2005 Dom. Du Prieure’ D’Amilhac Pinot Chardonnay, from Cotes des Thongue, I liked this cheap little Chard a lot and for $7 with good pear flavors and nice crisp acidity and fine balance, it will be one of my go-to whites. We tasted lots of other wines but these stood out.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: TN: Pegau, La Jota, Kurni and others

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:14 pm

I LOOOOOVVVVVE VERITE wines. One of my top five wineries. Experienced a very nice tasting there-and the guy was quite nice despite my wearing bicycling clothes. :o

The Archipel is such a steal-easily blowing away other California Cabs/Blends in its upper moderate price range. I agree, though, that this is a very herby, savory, mushroomy non-Californian-style wine. Delicious! (The Profile is nice, too. Try the 1999-an even better year.

Strangely enough, I saw a guy in a downtown Vacaville taqueria with an "Archipel" tee shirt. He used to be their cellarmaster but now makes zinfandels in Lake County. He was in town checking on grapes grown in the Vaca Mountains.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach