The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: 99 Gigondas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Open Mike: 99 Gigondas

by Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:11 pm

Plan to open a St. Cosme this weekend to pair with the Mario Batali recipe for fettucine with pancetta and parsnips. Haven't had a 99 Gigondas in a long while, should be showing well. Anyone care to join me?
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Open Mike: 99 St. Cosme Gigondas

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Plan to open this wine this weekend to pair with the Mario Batali recipe for fettucine with pancetta and parsnips. Anyone care to join me?

Sure, Jenise. What time's dinner? :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Open Mike: 99 Gigondas

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:47 pm

Jenise wrote:Plan to open a St. Cosme this weekend to pair with the Mario Batali recipe for fettucine with pancetta and parsnips. Haven't had a 99 Gigondas in a long while, should be showing well. Anyone care to join me?

Yup, no problem..Vacqueyras coming up on Sunday!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Ok, so Jenise beat me to it. I will be opening up the '99 St. Cosme as well on Sunday (if I can find the bottle that is...).

The '99s are doing very well right now, so hopefully this will be a meaningful exercise.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Plan to open a St. Cosme this weekend to pair with the Mario Batali recipe for fettucine with pancetta and parsnips. Haven't had a 99 Gigondas in a long while, should be showing well. Anyone care to join me?

St. Cosme is available here, but the '99 Gigondas may represent a sourcing problem. I'll look far and wide for it tomorrow, though ... I'm in hot pursuit of a little bit of <i>foie gras</i> for dinner (connected with a story about a local source), and if I can score it, a good Rhone with a little years on it ought to be just fine. Maybe I'll work something parsnippy into the dinner, too. :)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:24 pm

Amazingly I have this bottle. The last '99 I had was the Bosquets, which was outstanding. In fact, Jenise, I opened that bottle at your house with Kriss and Traci, and we had it with filet mignon and some of the most amazing potatoes I ever had...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:14 am

Oh I forgot..will have some parsnips as well!! Thanks for the reminder.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:36 pm

Ran across two bottles of the '99 St. Cosme at a store today, as well as some other '99s. It's an unappreciated vintage.

Again, will be opening mine tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ran across two bottles of the '99 St. Cosme at a store today, as well as some other '99s. It's an unappreciated vintage.

Again, will be opening mine tomorrow.

No luck here, durn burn it! Closest I could come was an unfamiliar 2002. No thanks. I'll have to pass, but I've been exchanging notes with Jenise and hope maybe we can pull off a "narrow-topic" Open Mike next week that I can join.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:14 pm

Jenise, I'd sure like to join in on this one, but believe it or not, the only '99 Gigondas left in the cellar from heck are a couple from Santa Duc, and I know that they need time so I just can't bring myself to sacrifice one. '95s and '98s we have to spare, so I'll sit this one out and watch.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :shock:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:09 pm

Geo, Robin and David, probably should have made the topic vertical to the producer (as David would have) instead of horizontal to the appellation. My bad.

But hey, the wine was quite good: raspberry fruit, olives, a little coffee-crusted beef, mucho black pepper and a curious wood-fire smokiness. That could well be a trademark of St. Cosme, but I don't know as I have no prior history with this producer. I believe this wine is only 10% syrah, but the syrah element shows a little more than that number might indicate. The flavors weave in and out of each other, but none ever gets too loud and none ever dominates the conversation. It's drinking splendidly right now, has the right acidity for its age and the tannins are soft and pliable. One of the more perfect-for-what-it-is wines I've had recently.

It also bears mentioning that there could hardly be a better match for the Babbo parsnip-and-bacon fettucine dish I made for dinner--the raspberry grenache bonded with the sweet parsnips and the wood smoke found the bacon, and the body/richness match was spot-on.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm

Well I just got mine open, and it's showing many of the same traits as yours Jenise, though I am finding herbal elements dominant. There's lots of rosemary to go along with all that pepper. I can see what you are saying about smokiness. The texture of this bottle is very smooth, so I'm glad we opened them. There does not seem to be any real reason to age it any longer, though it has enough stuffing to last a while.

I'm grilling up a steak later this evening, and I will follow the bottle for several hours.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:51 pm

I don't remember rosemary, but my bottle didn't present herb-dominant the way yours is showing. I might have missed that point entirely though since I only pecked at my glass during the first hour, as I was busy on the meal. The parsnips, which I was nibbling on throughout both raw and cooked, might have blanked that out somewhat, too.

Agreed that there's no reason to hold these further, though there's no reason to "Drink up!" immediately either other than because they're so good.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:43 pm

The herbal note faded as the wine opened up. By the time I got to my steak there was more red fruit and of course that pepper never went away. Since I like my steak VERY peppery it was a good match.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:24 am

Since most of the posters in this thread seem to agree the 99s are drinking well now, I have a general question: does the typical rule of thumb about Chateauneuf de Papes closing down between years 5 and 8 from vintage not apply to Gigondas? I'm not a big Rhone hound, but I would have thought there'd be strong similarities in drinking windows for the two wines. (Of course, this question reflects my general frustration with the lack of dumb-phase guidance for most age-worthy reds, which the recent thread on drinking young Burgs just stoked. I'd never before read JC's observation that 1ers and Grand Crus tend to close between years 2 and 8.)
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:36 am

I certainly think that Gigondas matures more quickly.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:36 am

geo t. wrote:Jenise, I'd sure like to join in on this one, but believe it or not, the only '99 Gigondas left in the cellar from heck are a couple from Santa Duc, and I know that they need time so I just can't bring myself to sacrifice one. '95s and '98s we have to spare, so I'll sit this one out and watch.

Geo and everyone, there is a Perrin tasting tonite in town!! Some good wines on the agenda I am sure with the big cheese present!!!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:46 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
geo t. wrote:Jenise, I'd sure like to join in on this one, but believe it or not, the only '99 Gigondas left in the cellar from heck are a couple from Santa Duc, and I know that they need time so I just can't bring myself to sacrifice one. '95s and '98s we have to spare, so I'll sit this one out and watch.

Geo and everyone, there is a Perrin tasting tonite in town!! Some good wines on the agenda I am sure with the big cheese present!!!

There's one in Ann Arbor tomorrow night, with Marc Perrin in attendance.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm

We have Thomas, the winemaker honcho?