The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fill in the blank: "You know you’re a wine geek if ..."

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Fill in the blank: "You know you’re a wine geek if ..."

by Robin Garr » Sun May 06, 2012 7:42 am

Jon Leifer wrote:Guess I 'll have to turn in my geek card and confess that I don't swirl water glasses either

Hang on to it, Jon. I think your credentials are still in good order. :lol: This Geek List isn't like the 10 commandments. You're not required to abide by all, or any.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Sun May 06, 2012 9:02 am

Dale Williams wrote:Out for a business dinner, on other person's expense account, they order some serious Bdx (like an '82 1st or Super Second). It comes, everything they want and more. Just outstanding Bordeaux. Fantastic, delicious. So good that when bottle is emptied, host orders another. Bill is appalled, any geek would want to try another wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That story spoke to me.

Contest over. This is the quintessential difference between "us" and "them", isn't it?

Actually, Howie's "other people's wine glasses are never clean enough" is bang on as well!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun May 06, 2012 9:33 am

...you keep all your corks but you don't know why.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun May 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Thak you Robin, feel like I got my geek back..and will confess to suggesting wines to strangers in grocery stores..and liquor stores as well
Jon
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

If you are at a restaurant and decide what wine you want to drink first and then pick the entree that best matches the wine.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 am

I did this the other day: Signal for the store clerk. Tell them that it really isn't legit to put the Lopez de Heredia 2000 Vina Tondonia Rosado in with the other roses.

(( This particular clerk admitted that she did the wrong thing, as she knew the wine was "different", but she wanted to promote it. What she accomplished was that two people returned it. ))
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I did this the other day: Signal for the store clerk. Tell them that it really isn't legit to put the Lopez de Heredia 2000 Vina Tondonia Rosado in with the other roses.

(( This particular clerk admitted that she did the wrong thing, as she knew the wine was "different", but she wanted to promote it. What she accomplished was that two people returned it. ))

Interesting, Jeff. I recommended that same wine to some non-winegeek friends who dined recently at NoMI in Chicago (aside: does your friends emailing you PDFs of restaurants' wine lists for your suggestions qualify for this thread?) who flat out loved it. Of course, they also got and loved the '09 do Ferreiro Cepas Vellas on my recommendation, so maybe they're really crypto-winegeeks in training.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon May 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Every vacation planned in the last 15 years has been to a wine region.

Picked grapes while on your honeymoon

Actually understand what it means when a wine is Biodynamic

Can better describe the difference between Santa Rita Hills and Santa Maria Valley than you can between where you grew up and where you live now

Refer to wineries by the winemakers first name, e.g. "do you want to go to Jim's this weekend?"

Think talking about soil/rootstocks/clones is interesting.

Remember relatives birth years based on Bordeaux vintages
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon May 07, 2012 5:01 pm

In Indiana you are considered a wine geek if you are aware that every Pinot Noir does not qualify as "burgundy".
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon May 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Know the names of all the winery dogs.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed May 09, 2012 11:07 am

You know you're a wine geek if you are interested in how Springer Oenologie's ML01 genetically modified yeast makes alcoholic fermentation and malolactic fermentation happen at the same time.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 09, 2012 11:57 am

Dale Williams wrote: my definition of a wine geek comes from Bill Spohn (I'm 99% sure, there's 0.9% chance it was the other Bill who posts on AFW, and a 0.1% chance I totally forgot who it was). Out for a business dinner, on other person's expense account, they order some serious Bdx (like an '82 1st or Super Second). It comes, everything they want and more. Just outstanding Bordeaux. Fantastic, delicious. So good that when bottle is emptied, host orders another. Bill is appalled, any geek would want to try another wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That story spoke to me.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I recall being gob-smacked that anyone willing to spend that sort of money would just order more of the same when the same cost would bring a totally different no less astounding wine. It was like they were speaking in a foreign language.

I also will sign on for having swirled (and sniffed :oops: ) a water glass in the middle of a long tasting.

And one more - you know you are a wine geek when your host wants to order a lesser vintage first growth for dinner and you try and steer him away toward a much better wine that is a modest 2nd or even 3rd growth. Been there - tried to score a 1988 Lynch Bages over the 1987 that the host was more taken with. Failed, unfortunately - guess he didn't believe me that it was a way better wine.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Know the names of all the winery dogs.

So I know that the chateau dog at Ch. Gillette is named 'Bouchon' - that doesn't make me a geek (does it?) Especially when I can't recall the name of the owners' wives or kids....
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Wed May 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:Do threads like this one count?

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43843

When I read Jim's comment, "A learning experience for us all - at least, that is my hope" I thought, nah, that doesn't count.

But then I read Dale's comment, "And of course one's idea of typicity is inevitably influenced by parameters of own experience." and that had the ring of authentic geekitude to it. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu May 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Neil: I own Wine Dogs of USA, books 1 and 2, does that count re knowing the names of the winery dogs? Have actually met some of these dogs while visiting wineries
Jon
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 11, 2012 4:59 pm

My most recent....while packing for our annual vacation in Aruba, I removed shoes from the suitcase to fit in another bottle of wine.
Diane
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sat May 12, 2012 1:48 am

Jon Leifer wrote:Neil: I own Wine Dogs of USA, books 1 and 2, does that count re knowing the names of the winery dogs? Have actually met some of these dogs while visiting wineries

Ye, I think that counts Jon. :D
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I did this the other day: Signal for the store clerk. Tell them that it really isn't legit to put the Lopez de Heredia 2000 Vina Tondonia Rosado in with the other roses.

Interesting, Jeff. I recommended that same wine to some non-winegeek friends who dined recently at NoMI in Chicago (aside: does your friends emailing you PDFs of restaurants' wine lists for your suggestions qualify for this thread?) who flat out loved it.

I love the Tondonia pink (well, rusty pink) but that was be a bit of a shocker to taste if you were looking for a typical light and refreshing rose! Pretty sui generis.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sun May 13, 2012 6:13 am

...you have a collection of autographed wine bottles."
Previous