The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent wines imbibed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

joshua albert

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:52 pm

Toronto

WTN: Recent wines imbibed

by joshua albert » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:07 pm

A collection of brief and unpoetic tasting notes.

Aime Stentz- Gewurztraminer - 2000 - Alsace - CAD $18

A solid Gewurztraminer. A little less floral/aromatic, and a little more minerally/flinty that some I've had.

Domaine de L'Ameillaud 2003 VdP Vaucluse - CAD $10

This seems to always be a tasty, inexpensive red - good for stocking up a few bottles to accompany week night fare. This version was a little rougher and grapier than earlier vintages.

Chateau de Charmes Merlot 1999 - St David's Bench Niagara Peninsula - CAD $25?

Did I pay $25 for this? Was it worth it? Perhaps yes, as it has matured into a well-balanced wine at this stage - with an inviting nose, good fruit, and body.

Salice Salentino 2000 - Puglia - CAD $12

Yummy Negro Amaro/Malvasia Nera blend. A couple more dollars than the Domaine L'Ameillaud - but worth it.

Daniel Lenko Estate - Riesling Reserve 2004 - Niagar Peninsula - Beamsville - CAD $16

Only available by the case (of 12) at the vineyard. This wine doesn't have bracing acidity, it has BRACING ACIDITY. I love the balance of aromatics and steeliness in this wine.

Caroline Cellars Baco Noir 2004 - Niagara Peninsula - Niagara-on-the-Lake - CAD $10

Pleasant, earthy, food friendly red.

Domaine Vacheron - Sancerre Rouge (Pinot Noir)- 2000 - Sancerre AOC - Loire Valley - CAD $25?

Bright, beety nose and a refined, palate. I wasn't sure what to expect - but I enjoyed.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Recent wines imbibed

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:54 am

Do you happen to recall the producer of this wine, Joshua? There are some really yummy wines coming out of this region but I've not had much luck with the 2000's.
no avatar
User

joshua albert

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:52 pm

Toronto

Re: Recent wines imbibed

by joshua albert » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:54 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

Do you happen to recall the producer of this wine, Joshua? There are some really yummy wines coming out of this region but I've not had much luck with the 2000's.

Bill - I believe the producer's name is Candido. (I have particularly bad handwriting!)