The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Very nice Tim, glad it showed so well for you.
Wine Terroirs is a wonderful website, do you visit often like me?
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Tim -

Thank you for the great note on the Rose de Riceys. I have never had one, and was curious about the one from Horiot that I saw locally last year - alas, at $45, I passed. (That would be more than I've ever spent on any rose, excluding Champagne.)

Anyway, Bob, I agree with you that Wine Terroirs is a very interesting, well-done website. I have found it useful for its profiles of some lesser-known producers, particularly in the Loire.
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:35 am

Andrew Bair wrote:Tim -

Thank you for the great note on the Rose de Riceys. I have never had one, and was curious about the one from Horiot that I saw locally last year - alas, at $45, I passed. (That would be more than I've ever spent on any rose, excluding Champagne.)

it is Champagne, still not sparkling.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 am

Marsannay Rosé 2010 - Domaine Jean Fournier - Alc.13% - (c.€12), made from organically grown Pinot Noir grapes.
At last we have a few summer days :) (ending on Friday :( ), so I bought a bottle of this famous Burgundian pink. I was hoping, probably misguidedly, for something like that fascinating Rosé des Riceys (see WTN above) but this had a lot less personality.
Colour was very pale with a touch of salmon. The nose was subdued with just a little pretty fruit and minerals perceptible. The palate was quite light and delicate with attractive notes of red fruit with touches of strawberry and cherry, gravelly minerals and some lively acidity; more elegant, less alcoholic and more to my taste than most rosé de Provence but rather understated for robust outdoors food; 15/20+.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 am

Tim, might be a similar wine downtown so will take a look. I sampled the Portal the other day, think they should stick to their great reds.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 am

Here's a nice one I tasted from Faugeres:

Saint Antoin, Faugeres, Les Jardins, Rose, 2011

A light, very refreshing and drinkable wine - dry, earthy and all about strawberries. Just enough interest on the nose and palate. Equal measures of Grenache and Cinsault.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Thomas G wrote:
Andrew Bair wrote:Tim -

it is Champagne, still not sparkling.

Hi Thomas -

Sorry if I confused you. :oops: I didn't mean to imply that Rose de Riceys was sparkling - clearly, it's not. What I was trying to say was that the only Rose wines that I have ever spent over $45 on were sparkling wines from Champagne.

Usually, one can assume sparkling when talking about Champagne, but not in this case! :D
Previous