The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs I'd forgotten in my drawer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTNs I'd forgotten in my drawer

by Saina » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:17 pm

Ch La Croix de Gay 2000

A rather elegant wine for the year and area. It seems typical "plummy" (as the stereotype goes) Pomerol, which starts out red berried but turns darker toned on the scent the longer it is open. It is exotic, spicy (like walking in the spice bazaar of Damascus - not that this will say much to anyone) and has some espresso. Both of these I find are oak related scents, but here somehow I just don't get overt oakiness despite these descriptors. Anyone know how much and what type and age of oak this sees?

The palate is rather ripe and sweetly fruity, yet almost Burgundian in its poise and lift. This wine is again an exception to my generalisations. I usually find 2000s a bit too heavy and lacking in freshness, but this, though a full bodied wine, is light on its feet and is very fresh. Very nice.

I am intrigued by this Chateaux as I have never tasted anything else from them, nor heard much of them, but this bottle was very fine indeed.

Domaine Arretxea Hegoxuri 2004

This is, I believe, a blend of the Mansengs from somewhere in the Basque areas of France. It rocks. It is lean, green and frightfully acidic. Light and very fresh, yet to me it is totally balanced though I am sure many will find it shrill and maybe even undrinkable. Lovely!

Serge Batard Domaine Les Hautes Noëlles Muscadet Sur Lie Muscadet Côtes de Grand Lieu 2004

Yummy. A rather friendly and fruit forward style of Muscadet - if that's not an oxymoron. It still has all the true aromas of Muscadet and is much fun to drink. I like it.

Serge Batard Domaine Les Hautes Noëlles Muscadet Sur Lie Muscadet Côtes de Grand Lieu 2005

Also yummy, but if we agree it's not an oxymoron, this is even more friendly and fruit forward a Muscadet. I did prefer the 2004 as that gave me more of an acid mouthwash, but I'll not turn down a glass of six of this either. :)

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTNs I'd forgotten in my drawer

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:32 pm

I've got a couple bottles of the '00 LCdG, but haven't tasted since release. I'd have guessed some new oak, but not all (the luxury cuvee La Fleur du Gay certainly sees 100%). Thanks for notes, I'm planning on mine resting abit more.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:00 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I've got a couple bottles of the '00 LCdG, but haven't tasted since release. I'd have guessed some new oak, but not all (the luxury cuvee La Fleur du Gay certainly sees 100%). Thanks for notes, I'm planning on mine resting abit more.

My bottle (of redoubtable provenance) was showing lovely. If stored well, I wouldn't have opened it now. But I'm glad I did - it was a lovely youthful wine and fully open. My guess as to the oak is like yours, but, pedant that I am, I'd like to know for sure. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:43 pm

(like walking in the spice bazaar of Damascus - not that this will say much to anyone)

Been there. Great image, combined somehow in my head with the taste of street-vendor roasted corn.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 pm

Jenise wrote:(like walking in the spice bazaar of Damascus - not that this will say much to anyone)

Been there. Great image, combined somehow in my head with the taste of street-vendor roasted corn.

LOL!! If talking of Damscene fast food, I was always more fond of sháwarma (or shwarma as it is often Anglicised) and faláfal. Take the corn out, then you have the scent I was after.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:26 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Take the corn out, then you have the scent I was after.

Go crush thee about half a tsp of dried mint then add about a tsp ea cumin and cinnamon. You'll be right about there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Jenise wrote:Go crush thee about half a tsp of dried mint then add about a tsp ea cumin and cinnamon. You'll be right about there.

Did that. Not quite the scent though. Maybe add a couple drops of rosewater and a narghile with the mix of two apples and then we might be there! :)