The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

German Sekt under $10

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

L.S. Crandall

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:57 pm

German Sekt under $10

by L.S. Crandall » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi, I am looking for a German Sekt, sold at Trader Joe's for under $10. I hear it is very good, and may work great for us budget conscious lovers of all things grape :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: German Sekt under $10

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:23 pm

What is your question?

Or were you just emoting for the crowd..

Either way, have fun, and stick around..
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:58 pm

L.S. Crandall wrote:German Sekt for under $10. I hear it is very good

Impossible.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:48 am

L S..do you know Prosecco?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:40 am

Geez - what is this board coming to?

I turn my back and the next thing you know people have turned it into a chat room for cheap sekts! Have you no shame??Image
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am

L.S., welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the wine you mention (I no longer live close to a TJ's and so am familiar with the store but not what they stock), though with more information (producer/vintage) someone else might be. TJ's certainly gets some nice bargains from time to time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:54 am

PS to the original question - if you are looking for an inexpensive bubble, I'd look to Spain, not Germany. Try out some Cavas and let us know what you think.
no avatar
User

L.S. Crandall

Rank

Just got here

by L.S. Crandall » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:55 am

"Geez - what is this board coming to?

I turn my back and the next thing you know people have turned it into a chat room for cheap sekts! Have you no shame??"

Being new to this board, I am not sure if this is a tongue-in-cheek joke, or a attempt to dissuade those who like wine, but can't afford $229 for a Cristal, from contributing. It is generally easy to find a good tasting expensive wine; but not so easy to find a good tasting affordable wine.

I tasted a Jacob's Creek Chardonnay/Pinot sparkling this weekend for $10 and liked it as much as the Proseccos I have tried. It may go good with the turkey for Thanksgiving. The Columbia Gewurztraminer was also a possible turkey wine, affordably priced.

L.S. Crandall
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:23 am

LS - first post = joke.

Second post = advice - try the Cavas - some of the most cost effective bubblies on the planet.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:26 am

Hi L.S. The "cheap sekts" comment sure seems tongue-in-cheek to me. I dont think you'll find too much Cristal talk here, but you will find lots of good discussion on affordable bubblies like NV champagne, cava, prosecco, sparkling vouvray, cremant d'alsace, and the like.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:29 am

L.S. Crandall wrote:Being new to this board, I am not sure if this is a tongue-in-cheek joke, or a attempt to dissuade those who like wine, but can't afford $229 for a Cristal, from contributing. It is generally easy to find a good tasting expensive wine; but not so easy to find a good tasting affordable wine.

Welcom L.S., I doubt it was an attempt to dissuade anyone from joining. I thought this board, more so than any other (well...maybe Therapy also) has a "tradition" for discussing cheaper wines, it's not all about BlingBling Champagnes and DRC.

I can't help as to the question because I am on the other side of the planet, but for anyone doubting that Germans make good bubbly, try Kurt Hain's bloody brillian Sekt! (Or Bründlmayer's from Austria.)

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:31 am

Plus some good sparklers from OZ land...look for Seppelts around your price!! Cavas terrific needless to say.
no avatar
User

L.S. Crandall

Rank

Just got here

by L.S. Crandall » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 am

I found it. After searching for some other sources, the wine is a Schloss-Biebrich from Henkel and sells for 4.99 at my neighborhood Trader Joes. It is produced in the Charmat method. They are holding two bottles until I can pick them up tonight.

I never thought one small question would stimulate so much interest. I will be back.

Thanks

L.S. Crandall
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:for anyone doubting that Germans make good bubbly, try Kurt Hain's bloody brillian Sekt! (Or Bründlmayer's from Austria.)

-Otto-

No doubt here about Germans making good bubbly Otto, only that it can be had for under $10! :) Most of Henkells juice doesn't come from Germany, they have sources all over eastern Europe. Which in itself isn't a bad thing. I just don't believe Country musical chair blended-tank charged sekt is very good.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:04 pm

L.S. Crandall wrote:I never thought one small question would stimulate so much interest. I will be back.

Thanks

L.S. Crandall

Well you see, we really are a friendly lot and we love to be helpful. And your luck knows no bounds--you've even been fully indoctrinated with one of Bill's cheap sex jokes. It usually takes months to get a rise out of him--well done!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

L.S. Crandall

Rank

Just got here

by L.S. Crandall » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:12 pm

And your luck knows no bounds--you've even been fully indoctrinated with one of Bill's cheap sex jokes

I have had worse initiations. I will be back. Thanks for being so gentle.

LS Crandall