The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Torrontes QPR

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

WTN: Torrontes QPR

by Doug Surplus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:29 am

Amaicha 2005 Torrontes, Mendoza Argentina I grabbed this and the same label Bonarda at Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago for $5 each. I had it and a Pinot Noir as possibles for dinner tonight. I decided on the Torrontes after tasting the marinated ahi tuna when it came off the grill. It was a good choice.

Aromas of lychees, citrus and honeysuckle. Tastes somewhate like a cross between orange muscat and gewurztraminer, balanced with moderate acidity and a hint of mineral undertones. Bone-dry with a lingering citrusy finish. I'm going back for more.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Torrontes QPR

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:56 am

Sounds intriguing. Wonder if my local TJs carries it?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:13 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds intriguing. Wonder if my local TJs carries it?

Hey Doug, hows it going? Seeing more of this varietal over here in Alberta. Terrific value too!
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:14 am

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds intriguing. Wonder if my local TJs carries it?

Hey Doug, hows it going? Seeing more of this varietal over here in Alberta. Terrific value too!

Going good, Doris! I hope more Torrontes shows up here as well - it's good stuff.
Doug

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanx for the heads-up.... I've loved this varietal when I can find it.. Let us know how the Bonarda is too....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:37 pm

James Dietz wrote:Thanx for the heads-up.... I've loved this varietal when I can find it.. Let us know how the Bonarda is too....

My take on the Bonarda (2005):

Pleasant fresh plums and flowers waft from the glass. A bit simple, but not rustic, it tastes of red and black plums with an underpinning of black cherry. For $5, I'll probably buy a couple more.
Doug

no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:15 pm

For those that have liked Bonarda, I suggest you try to get your hands on some of the new Bonarda/Malbec blends that are being produced in Argentina. I find these grapes blend very well together, two examples of this are Mora Negra (made by Finca Las Moras), and Tikal Patriota (made by Ernesto Catena).
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09 pm

Not to start an international incident :lol:, but isn't Tikal Chilean?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 am

Must make a plug here for the '06 Crios Torrontes. I've seen references to prices for earlier Crios Torrontes in the $10 - $12 range which, hard to believe, is on the high side for a Torrontes. This one was way over the top at $15, but it's also the best Torrontes I've ever had. The nose is fresh grapefruit and the taste is a cross between a mineraly Riesling and a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Truly delicious.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 am

Dan, that is really pricey!! Love these whites though.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:37 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Not to start an international incident :lol:, but isn't Tikal Chilean?

No, Tikal wines belong to the Catena Group, which as you all know is very much Argentine.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Must make a plug here for the '06 Crios Torrontes. I've seen references to prices for earlier Crios Torrontes in the $10 - $12 range which, hard to believe, is on the high side for a Torrontes. This one was way over the top at $15, but it's also the best Torrontes I've ever had. The nose is fresh grapefruit and the taste is a cross between a mineraly Riesling and a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Truly delicious.

Yes, Susana Balbo is taking a page from the Paul Hobbs book and has been recently increasing prices.... I dont know where this strategy is going to take things, and then again, I understand that the US importers and distributors have a huge say in pricing for Argentine labels so perhaps its not Susana's fault. In any event, she does make a great Torrontes, although I prefer the San Pedro de Yacochuya myself.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Must make a plug here for the '06 Crios Torrontes. I've seen references to prices for earlier Crios Torrontes in the $10 - $12 range which, hard to believe, is on the high side for a Torrontes. This one was way over the top at $15, but it's also the best Torrontes I've ever had. The nose is fresh grapefruit and the taste is a cross between a mineraly Riesling and a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Truly delicious.

That sounds like a lot of wine for $15. Why is it 'way over the top?'

I love Torrontes, it reminds me of dry yellow Muscat from the Alto Adige, which I also love and drink frequently.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:37 pm

That sounds like a lot of wine for $15. Why is it 'way over the top?'

It is a lot of wine for the money Oliver, but in terms of the going price for pretty good Torrontes at least until recently it's pretty high.
Dan