The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for August: The Wines of New Zealand

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: Wine Focus for August: The Wines of New Zealand

by Matt Richman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Here in New Zealand it is now no longer the month of August. Just a lil funny FYI.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Matt Richman wrote:Here in New Zealand it is now no longer the month of August. Just a lil funny FYI.

Good point! Are the leaves changing colo(u)r yet? :lol:

Oops, wait, I got that backward ...
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 pm

Matt Richman wrote:I wasn't that impressed with the wine when I visited Mt. Difficulty, although I took no formal notes. However I did like this bottle and I think it's fairly priced for the global pinot noir market.

I am biased towards Mt Difficulty and their wines because of my first visit there. Fairly early on in the Central Otago wine industry, and just after the first or second vintage of Mt Difficulty, I stopped by a half built building with a Mt Difficulty sign. I'd heard of them, never tasted their wine, but it was on the way to Felton Road winery, so I thought, what the heck. I walked up to what I thought was a construction worker there. Turns out, he was one of the owners, and we had a nice chat. He was surprised I'd heard of the winery, and seemed chuffed (kiwi for happy) that I wanted to try some. The tasting room and winery were still being built, so they had no tasting facilities. "Tell you what", he said, "I'll call my wife, give you directions to my house, and you can buy a bottle from my personal stash". Typical kiwi friendliness, and definitely a going above and beyond the call of customer service moment! How can you not like people like that! :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:17 am

2007 Gibbston Highgate Estate Soul Taker Pinot Noir, Central Otago, New Zealand. 13.5% abv. Screwcap. Dark purple color; opaque. I find the flavors more spicy and oaky than fruity. There might be a hint of plum under the tannins and grape soda/cola. I can't tell if perhaps the fruit and tannins would have been in better balance a couple years ago or not. Not very attractive at present. I recently picked up a Nobilo Icon Sauvignon Blanc at the grocery store and will report on it in the September Wine Focus.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:32 am

John - That story does sound very Kiwi!

ps their tasting room/restaurant turned out very well.
Previous