The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Does anyone notice anything odd about this wine label?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Does anyone notice anything odd about this wine label?

by Hoke » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Hoke wrote:Same grape, but the different names are used for marketing reasons.

Mirroring a similar two-track trend in the US with Pinot Gris and Pinot Grigio, neh?

Perzactly. Also Fume Blanc/Sauvignon Blanc...although the Fume Blanc usage is dying out.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:07 pm

Hoke wrote:Also Fume Blanc/Sauvignon Blanc...although the Fume Blanc usage is dying out.

I thought about that, but frankly, I'm not sure that any consistent style difference between those two terms ("Fume" = "oaky?") ever really emerged. It always seemed to me like dealer's choice, or maybe marketer's choice.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:06 am

Interesting factoid from the Berry Bros. website:

French winemakers will from now on be able to label their wines using the term Shiraz for wines made from the Syrah grape. The National Interprofessionnel des Vins has confirmed that the term Shiraz can be used as a synonym for Syrah on French wine labels. The move has been prompted by the confusion amongst many UK consumers, who are unaware that Syrah and Shiraz is the same grape. Last year a major UK supermarket labelled a French wine as Shiraz before (following the French Government's request) changing the label was changed to Syrah. The same wine with the Shiraz label sold twice as much as the one labelled as Syrah.

And take a look at this listing on the Palm Bay Website.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:15 am

Google Trend confirms that it's "Shiraz" over "Syrah" in the news: http://www.google.com/trends?q=syrah%2Cshiraz

Victor says, though, that Spain is still almost unamimously in the Syrah camp.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:57 am

Bob R, this is all very interesting/informative!! When will we be seeing some tasting notes!!!!!
Beats me where you find all this stuff. Gonna nominate you for Forumite of the Year!!!!!!! Now there`s a good idea for december, have to think of a category for Paul B though. Maybe the most informative home winemaker!!???
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:46 pm

Paul B. wrote:Or, to use Mike B.'s great phrase, it's all about "aggressive mediocrity".

It seems that more and more products get marketed with the goal of aggressive mediocrity nowadays. If that's a true reflection of what most people actually aspire to, then it's really kind of sad when you think about it.
I suppose it depends on ones goals.

The way I see it, there are two major goals in winemaking. One is to make the best possible wine. Another is to make as much money as possible. To a certain extent, those goals are mutually exclusive. "Agressive mediocrity" makes a lot of money, which is not an inherently bad thing.

Sometimes I wish I could!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:08 pm

I would counter with "Not necessarily," Isaac.

Or better, that the mutual poles you posit don't always have to be far, far apart, at least to the point of being contraindicated.

There are wines made in large volumes that are still quite good quality. And besides, the idea of volume keeps shifting. When I go out on sales calls, I hear all different definitions:

"I won't buy anything from a winery that makes more than ten thousand cases!" [Oh, really? So...no Lafite or Mouton then?]

"If I see it advertised anywhere, it doesn't go on MY list."

"Well, (snif, snif), I'm not interested. This has gotten really commercial hasn't it?"

"Oh, that? No, no, no. You see it practically everywhere." [This was a wine that was less than four thousand cases total.]

"It's too popular for me to use." Quickly followed by, "I can't mark it up enough, because people know the price."

:)

But there are plenty of good QPR wines out there. Some of them have even been known to get popular and to actually make money for the winemakers or owners.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 pm

"Bob R, this is all very interesting/informative!!"

You are much too kind, Bob. I'm somewhat embarrassed that I'm so much out of touch with the Syrah/Shiraz name shift -- one of my favorite wines in both basic styles, really, but culture changed without my knowing it.

You've added so much enthusiasm and so many great ideas -- deserve any titles that are given out.

Thanks again, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:10 am

Bob Ross wrote:"Bob R, this is all very interesting/informative!!"

You are much too kind, Bob. I'm somewhat embarrassed that I'm so much out of touch with the Syrah/Shiraz name shift -- one of my favorite wines in both basic styles, really, but culture changed without my knowing it.

You've added so much enthusiasm and so many great ideas -- deserve any titles that are given out.

Thanks again, Bob

Bob, I guess after all the Christmas planning and home/barn renos are over your end, we should pick a syrah and a shiraz and do an Open Mike!!! Picking the same wines of course. You game?!!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:51 am

Sure. I'll be back drinking wine in early December -- let's do it then, ok?

I'm interested in seeing if all the great Syrahs I've got in the cellar taste the same now that I know they are better known as "Shiraz". :)
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 am

Isaac wrote:The way I see it, there are two major goals in winemaking. One is to make the best possible wine. Another is to make as much money as possible. To a certain extent, those goals are mutually exclusive. "Agressive mediocrity" makes a lot of money, which is not an inherently bad thing.

In support of the argument above, consider the case of Fred Franzia. His Charles Shaw products are mediocre ... when they are at their best. Yet he seems to be raking in the dough.

Then consider the case of Robert Mondavi. He was an aggressive marketer and a fanatic about making quality wines. In doing so, he made a lot of money. Then he began expanding his empire, branching out into mediocre products. Afterward, they steadily began losing market share until finally they lost their business altogether.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:53 am

Bob Ross wrote:Sure. I'll be back drinking wine in early December -- let's do it then, ok?

I'm interested in seeing if all the great Syrahs I've got in the cellar taste the same now that I know they are better known as "Shiraz". :)

Great, we will have to think of a couple of wines that are available in both markets/cellars. The other alternative is that we each pick our own 2 wines and go from there. It will be an interesting exercise either way. The choice of which wines might be of interest to some, should post question here later this month. We will get lots of advice!!!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:59 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
Isaac wrote:The way I see it, there are two major goals in winemaking. One is to make the best possible wine. Another is to make as much money as possible. To a certain extent, those goals are mutually exclusive. "Agressive mediocrity" makes a lot of money, which is not an inherently bad thing.

In support of the argument above, consider the case of Fred Franzia. His Charles Shaw products are mediocre ... when they are at their best. Yet he seems to be raking in the dough.

Then consider the case of Robert Mondavi. He was an aggressive marketer and a fanatic about making quality wines. In doing so, he made a lot of money. Then he began expanding his empire, branching out into mediocre products. Afterward, they steadily began losing market share until finally they lost their business altogether.

-- Clark

Gallo would be another operation to try to pin down regarding the argument that mediocrity makes money and dedicated quality does not--mediocrity certainly made them money, but they also produce higher level wines. I don't know if those wines make money for them. Hoke, do you know?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Hoke wrote:I would counter with "Not necessarily," Isaac.

Or better, that the mutual poles you posit don't always have to be far, far apart, at least to the point of being contraindicated.

There are wines made in large volumes that are still quite good quality. And besides, the idea of volume keeps shifting. When I go out on sales calls, I hear all different definitions:

"I won't buy anything from a winery that makes more than ten thousand cases!" [Oh, really? So...no Lafite or Mouton then?]

"If I see it advertised anywhere, it doesn't go on MY list."

"Well, (snif, snif), I'm not interested. This has gotten really commercial hasn't it?"

"Oh, that? No, no, no. You see it practically everywhere." [This was a wine that was less than four thousand cases total.]

"It's too popular for me to use." Quickly followed by, "I can't mark it up enough, because people know the price."

:)

But there are plenty of good QPR wines out there. Some of them have even been known to get popular and to actually make money for the winemakers or owners.
And I would agree. Although I think we've all seen a formerly good QPR get popular, then have its price increase significantly.
Previous