The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Good wines

by Florida Jim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:49 pm

1998 Salomon, Grüner Veltliner Reserve:
Honeycomb, poached pear and new mown hay scents with some pretty citrus accents; viscous, mid-weight wine with flavors that follow the nose, good acidity and a touch of oxidation; medium length, crisp finish. A nice wine by itself but beside cauliflower soup with truffle oil, one of the finest pairings I have experienced. $8 on sale and worth three times the price.

1999 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie Cuvée Tardive:
I adore this wine. There is the wild strawberry, face powder stuff in the nose so typical of Fleurie but there’s also the smoky, old vine sap of dark fruit; there’s beautiful, deep, ripe fruit flavors but also a finesse that keeps the whole package from getting too intense, and a grip that makes the palate more simpatico with food, excellent balance and breadth; and there is fabulous, complex length. It’s not finished developing yet but it has come a long way in seven years and is about as good with mustard and bread crumb coated roasted chicken as any wine could be. A masterpiece; about $22 on release and I’d buy it again, many times over.

2005 Thévenet, Morgon:
I can’t keep my hands of this stuff; great dark fruit smells and flavors, lots of verve and depth, 13% alcohol, beautiful balance and good structure. It may last awhile in your cellar but it won’t in mine. About $23; I’d buy it again at that price.

2005 Quénard, Chignin Anne de la Biguerne:
Ah, the beauties of the jacquère grape when grown by talented and committed people in the Savoie; lightly scented with lime skin, rushing stream-water and stone aromas; mid-weight, slightly viscous with flavors that follow the nose and add some apple and grapefruit flavors, nicely balanced, 12% alcohol and a longer than expected finish with a mouthwatering bitter element. Charming wine that references crisp mountain air and bright sunshine on a cool day. Marvelous with homemade vegetable soup, corn bread and salad. About $10; I’d buy cases of it at that price (and did).

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Good wines

by James Dietz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:02 pm

My wife makes a killer cauliflower soup (with no cream), and the idea of some truffle oil sounds nice. I'll look for a GV to pair with it! Thanx for the suggestion.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:22 pm

Jacquere grape--that's a new one to me.
Nice notes per your usual high standard. I too am fond of well made Beaujolais Cru.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:27 pm

JC.. if you bought from Garagiste too.. you would be learning a lot about little known grapes...

Note: this is an inside/outside joke.. I think Jim C knows what I mean.. :lol:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Great notes Jim. I love your rating system. It has to be the absolutely perfect rating system for wine geeks and newbies alike. What more does one need to know than that the wine is worth a full case? It is even better than the mythical Three Stooges system. Keep up the good work. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:23 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Keep up the good work. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

Well, okay, but only because I don't want to disappoint you. 8)
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: Good wines

by wrcstl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2005 Thévenet, Morgon:
I can’t keep my hands of this stuff; great dark fruit smells and flavors, lots of verve and depth, 13% alcohol, beautiful balance and good structure. It may last awhile in your cellar but it won’t in mine. About $23; I’d buy it again at that price.

Best, Jim

Jim,
I bought this wine and thought it was too early to try. Based on this guess I should try a bottle.
Walt
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:14 pm

wrcstl wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:2005 Thévenet, Morgon:

Best, Jim

Jim,
I bought this wine and thought it was too early to try. Based on this guess I should try a bottle.
Walt

Walt,
Its good now and, if it endures in the cellar, it will certainly be good later. But I worry some about these low sulpher guys so, if they taste good early, I usually drink them early.
There are folks who feel differently about that but I go with my own experience on this.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:59 pm

Jim,

Your evocative descriptions of a varietal I had consigned to the junk heap (due to the Beaujolais Nouveau thing...a style I've never cared for) made me run out and purchase some Cru Beaujolais.

While I couldn't find the exact wines you are drinking, I found a couple of nice bottles in the form of a 2005 Domaine des Quatre Vents Fleurie. I have no idea where this particular wine stands in the pantheon of Beaujolais growers, but its a tasty juicy red with a fantastic nose and darn good acid backbone.

Perfect for an upcoming AWS Wine Tasting & Thanksgiving dinner. I think this wine will be a perfect match for turkey & dressing. Beyond the normal offerings of Pinot Noir and Merlot.

Thanks for eye opening introduction to a new varietal (for me).

Richard
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 am

I have used Gewurz and Beaujolais at Thanksgiving before.