The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Disorderly Hoarding?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Disorderly Hoarding?

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:07 pm

Or orderly collecting? When does one slide over into the other and why?

I'm glad you asked:

Neural basis for collecting behaviour in humans.
a.. Anderson SW,
b.. Damasio H,
c.. Damasio AR.
Department of Neurology, University of Iowa Hospitals, 200 Hawkins Drive,
Iowa City, IA 52242, USA. steven-anderson@uiowa.edu

Collecting behaviour is commonplace in the normal population, but there has been little investigation of its neural basis in humans. The observation
that collecting behaviour can assume pathological proportions in patients
with certain patterns of brain damage led us to hypothesize that dysfunction in a system encompassing mesial prefrontal cortices accounts for abnormal collecting and may guide normal collecting. We tested the hypothesis in 86 subjects with focal lesions of the telencephalon, by relating the neuroanatomical placement of the lesions to the presence of repetitive and indiscriminate acquisition behaviour and impaired discard behaviour.

The subjects had no history of psychiatric disease or abnormal collecting
behaviour prior to lesion onset. Lesions were analysed with high-resolution three-dimensional MRI. Collecting behaviour was evaluated with a standardized questionnaire completed by a close relative of each subject.

Thirteen subjects exhibited abnormal collecting, characterized by massive
and disruptive accumulation of useless objects. In all cases, the
abnormality of collecting behaviour was severe and persisted despite
attempted interventions and obvious negative consequences. There were no differences between pathological collectors and non-collectors on tests of executive functions or anterograde memory. All subjects with pathological collecting behaviour had damage to the mesial frontal region (including the right polar sector and the anterior cingulate), but there was no damage to most of the subcortical structures that, in species such as rodents, are known to drive the acquisition and retention of objects. The evidence suggests that damage to the mesial frontal region disrupts a mechanism which normally modulates subcortically driven predispositions to acquire and collect, and adjusts these predispositions to environmental context.

Next time SWMBO takes me to task for buying too much wine (and rest assured that there WILL be a next time as sure as eggs is eggs) I shall inform her that my mesial frontal region has been disrupted (perhaps by having to endure inordinate nagging) and my subcortically driven predispositions have run amok....
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Disorderly Hoarding?

by Brian K Miller » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:40 am

Definitely a disorderly collector here. :oops: MY excuse is that it is INHERITED. You should see my mother's house, a museum of pig kitsch collectables. I, of course, am too posh for that, so wine and folk art and books fill my modest townhouse. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:20 am

...and where are the relic bikes!!!?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:35 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Definitely a disorderly collector here. :oops: MY excuse is that it is INHERITED. You should see my mother's house, a museum of pig kitsch collectables.

I have a friend who collects cows in all forms. She seems to be pretty normal otherwise....

Another wife of a poker buddy collects anything with roosters on them. I suggested to hom that it might stem from over-compensation for a cock deficiency but he was not amused. She has since switched allegiance to geese. I am not sure what THAT indicates....
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:...and where are the relic bikes!!!?

Unlike most cyclists, I'm not very "mechanical" so don't really get "into" the bicycle parts/relic bikes thing. So-just one road bike for me. . Luckily, I have a good friend who IS into it, so he keep me rolling :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

by Paul Savage » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:20 am

So..., what? I need a lobotomy!? :shock:

But wait! MY collecting behavior is ORDERLY! :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Bill wrote:Next time SWMBO takes me to task for buying too much wine (and rest assured that there WILL be a next time as sure as eggs is eggs) I shall inform her that my mesial frontal region has been disrupted (perhaps by having to endure inordinate nagging) and my subcortically driven predispositions have run amok

Bill, if you think that is going to help you one whit...please go right ahead! And when the rolling pin cracks across your forehead, do not complain to me! :D
Bob Henrick