The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines from lunch: C. Moreau Chablis 2003, Figeac 1998, Malmsey Madeira

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Wines from lunch: C. Moreau Chablis 2003, Figeac 1998, Malmsey Madeira

by Jay Labrador » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:40 am

Christian Moreau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2003 - Slightly greenish tinge to this. Young, stony wine. Melon flavor. A little acidic. Long finish but not a lot going on here. Seems closed to me. Good wine but nothing special. Maybe time will give it more character. A good match for the soft shell crab but not a convincing pairing for the oysters.

Chateau Figeac 1998 - Quite dark and young looking. Medium-bodied with plenty of dried fruit character. Very dry. Long finish. A very good drink now but the structure suggests a long life ahead. Real easy to drink and excellent with the steak and duck breast.

Henriques & Henriques 10 Year Old Malmsey Madeira - Dark olive-brown color. Complex nose of caramel, orange and prune. The flavors reflect the character of the nose. Plenty of acidity makes it refreshing, quite easy to drink and gives it a good balance to the sweetness. A selection of chocolates and a parmesan ice cream with candied dates filled with a blue cheese, while not really clashing with the wine, weren't that successful with the Madeira, unfortunately.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

Re: WTN: Wines from lunch: C. Moreau Chablis 2003, Figeac 1998, Malmsey Madeira

by Alan Uchrinscko » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:53 pm

I'm not surprised that this Chablis didn't go well with oysters. Oysters and Chablis is a great match for the simplest of most Chablis. Grand Cru Chablis from a full bodied vintage would certainly overwhelm something as simple as oysters.
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Thank you for the notes on the '98 Figeac. Nice to read a data point that it's doing well.

I am a fan of 98 Right Bank wines and my experience is that most of them, at least the ones that I sampled about two years ago, will definitely require more bottle aging. In addition to a couple of the Figeac and a few other Righ Bankers that's lying in my cellar, I will hold on these '98s for at least 5 more years before starting to pop them.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:03 pm

I agree with Alan - ripe GC Chablis to me is more like a Cote d'Or from matching standpoint.

R.- is that Ramon? Welcome in any case. Agree re '98s. If Ramon, I think you were at our '98 tasting at Inside. I think the wines that showed best were those decanted 6+ hours ahead of time. I'm only drinking the satellites and lesser St-Ems now.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:22 pm

Dale,

Good to see a familiar poster here. I always look forward to reading your notes anywhere.

One thing I took away from our '98 Right Bank offline was that they need plenty of time to come around.

Ramon