The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike (Oct & Nov) - Wines that got you into this hobby

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Open Mike (Oct & Nov) - Wines that got you into this hobby

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Good solid traditional reds from Tahbilk.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:06 am

While I dabbled in the popular stuff of the early 1970's (Blue Nun, Mateus, Hearty Burgundy, etc.) my interest grew after visits to the Finger Lakes, where I had the pleasure of drinking wine with Dr. Frank and Walter S. Taylor. However, I went off the deep end after having 3 fantastic red wines in late 1977 and early 1978. The first two were purchased at a local wine store for $10 each; 1967 Ch. Haut Brion and 1967 Ch. Lafite. My wife and I liked the Lafite so much that we spent a portion of or tax return to buy a case of the 1975 and we opened a bottle every 5 years on our anniversary. I still have a few left. The 3rd eye-opening bottle was my first exposure to a premium CA red - 1974 Raymond. The whole home wine making thing was a slippery slope, with a few early disasters and some pleasant surprises. My goal was to make wines as good as quality commercial wines. After over 36 years of home made wine, I'm still learning, but for the most part, I think I do OK.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

2011 ADOLPH MUELLER PIESPORTER GOLDTROPFCHEN RIESLING KABINETT. $15 at Total Wine, Brier Creek, Raleigh. 8% alcohol by volume. Palest gold with a faint suggestion of pale green and with transparency. Ripe stone fruits on the nose. Tastes too sweet for Kabinett level but does have a broad acidic streak to temper the sugar. Peach/pear juice on the palate. It did remind me of the meals at the local Gasthaus in Mannheim-Sandhofen where I quaffed Piesporter Michelsberg back in the late 60's. I'm not familiar with this producer and would surmise that this is not the highest level the vineyard can produce. In that way, it is more a commonplace quaffer Riesling than an exalted wine. That is in keeping with the simple pleasures of the Gasthaus wine I enjoyed in the early days of consuming wine. I would not buy this particular Piesporter Goldtropfchen again but may buy one from a recognized producer if I come across it.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm a relative newbie to the pleasures of wine (just over ten years now).

Two wines that stood out for me at a time when I still just dabbling in wine were:

1996 Beringer Knights Valley
1990 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne

Both wines had that extra something that made me realize that a wine could be something more magical than just alcohol in a bottle. What I remember about the Knights Valley was how full-bodied it was and how wonderfully caressing the tannins were. Meanwhile, the Fleur de Champagne was my first encounter of what they call "the good stuff". I can remember how struck I was at the sensuality of the bubbly. It was soft with a lemony taste and went down so smoothly. So this is what good champagne can taste like!

Today, while I can enjoy a good chalky red, it is champagne that has stolen the bulk of my wine heart.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Previous