The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Local Cider Going National

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Local Cider Going National

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 am

Leonard Oakes Steampunk Cider is great stuff. I brought a few bottles to MOCOOL and we visited the winery at the last NiagaraCOOL.
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121003/LIFE01/121009851/1057
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Local Cider Going National

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Howie you might find the article on cider in the Washington Post interesting. It's on Virginia cider, but I am hoping cider is finally coming into it's own.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Daisy D

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:43 pm

PVB, FL

by Daisy D » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Though I enjoy a good craft beer, especially a porter, every now and then - I've always been a fan of ciders. Don't know if we'll get it this far south that quickly, but I'll definitely be keeping a look out for it.
...Eating is the only form of professionalism most people ever attain. - Don Delillo
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:08 pm

That's great, Howie.

Gotten in cider in a big way lately. Now teaching a comm. college course in Beer/Sake/Cider/Mead---and luckily for me, there's plenty of local/artisanal stuff and people around who are willing to share.

There's a cider producer here in Portland that has started the first ever "cider pub"---modeled sorta halfway between an English pub and a sports bar (except no tvs), and he features almost 200 ciders, with a rotating tap of six, and cider tasting flights that are nicely priced.

Great thing about cider, unlike beer, is it doesn't fill you up. And the range of flavors is amazing, really. Right now I am loving Basque ciders!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Leonard Oakes Steampunk Cider is great stuff. I brought a few bottles to MOCOOL and we visited the winery at the last NiagaraCOOL.
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121003/LIFE01/121009851/1057

Howie, was that Mo'Cool 2012? If so, somehow I missed out on the cider. Can you find out whether it gets to Kentucky? If it doesn't, maybe I can email or call Steampunk.
Bob Henrick