The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Interesting article on the L.A. wine scene...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Interesting article on the L.A. wine scene...

by Jenise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 pm

...about what's going on there and how it's a different market than San Francisco and New York. Or at least, I found it interesting!

http://eater.com/archives/2012/10/03/the-la-wine-scene-according-to-its-sommeliers.php
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: Interesting wine article on Eater.com...

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 am

Definitely interesting! Thanks for posting.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:14 am

One thing that is unique—especially in California—is the absence of California wine.
DECODED: The diners are too savvy here, they know the prices of CA wines, instead we list obscure foreign wines so can have a huge mark-up on without diners knowing

We don't have a wine list at Covell.......instead we start a conversation with each guest, get a sense of what they're looking for, then present a few wine options with a small taste of each to help them navigate their way from 120 wines by the glass to the right choice for the moment.
I would so hate this...the process could take forever..

Diner - Where's the wine list?
Sommelier - We don't have one, tell me what you're looking for.
Diner - The wine list!
Sommelier - What sort of wines do you normally drink?
Diner - Everything: show me the list so I can see what you've got
Sommelier - Do you like Cabernet?
Diner - Yes, what labels and vintages have you got?
Sommelier names 15 Cabernets, their origin and vintages.
Diner - What else you got?
Sommelier - Pinot Noir?
Diner - Where from?
and so on till the entire stock is named....

Meanwhile on Table 2
Diner - Where's the wine list?
Waiter - The sommelier will be with you when he's finished at that table
Diner - Just give me the list, I can choose myself
Waiter - We don't have one, the sommelier will discuss your tastes
Diner - Forget it, bring a jug of tap water
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:04 am

Peter May wrote:One thing that is unique—especially in California—is the absence of California wine.
DECODED: The diners are too savvy here, they know the prices of CA wines, instead we list obscure foreign wines so can have a huge mark-up on without diners knowing

I didn't think that way when I read that, but there's a restaurant here in Bellingham that's guilty. Their markups are the highest in the city at 3X or 3X+, judging by the $70 I paid for a $20 Aglianico once. You could be right--would have to see their list to reach that conclusion.

We don't have a wine list at Covell.......instead we start a conversation with each guest, get a sense of what they're looking for, then present a few wine options with a small taste of each to help them navigate their way from 120 wines by the glass to the right choice for the moment. I would so hate this...the process could take forever..

I'll admit I bristled over that one. Found it very condescending, the idea that they would know what I'm looking for better than I would.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: Interesting article on the L.A. wine scene...

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Peter May wrote:One thing that is unique—especially in California—is the absence of California wine.

OR...they realize that California wines (especially Napa) have a terrible QPR and you can get much better wine and great values from these so called "obscure" wines. With smartphones at everyone's fingertips these days, restaurants with huge mark-ups won't succeed in the long run. No one is fooled. The ones that do succeed are those who can offer you wine you have never heard of or at least never tried that leave a memorable experience, not those who sell based on brand names or stuff that anyone can go buy at the grocery store around the corner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:

OR...they realize that California wines (especially Napa) have a terrible QPR and you can get much better wine and great values from these so called "obscure" wines. With smartphones at everyone's fingertips these days, restaurants with huge mark-ups won't succeed in the long run. No one is fooled. The ones that do succeed are those who can offer you wine you have never heard of or at least never tried that leave a memorable experience, not those who sell based on brand names or stuff that anyone can go buy at the grocery store around the corner.

I agree with that, Joy. Another thought: every list in L.A. is littered with Napa-Sonoma wines. Serving wines from anyplace but is at least a good way to stand out from the crowd.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 pm

It may be worth worth scrolling down the page to the site's list of American cities for which they have developed restaurant recommendations. Their recommendations for Seattle, my home town, are excellent.