The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Riedel 'O' line: who likes them?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Riedel 'O' line: who likes them?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Very interesting discussion here. Seen `em, don`t think they are for me. Walking around the Bay the other day, someone in the rodeo party noticed those "nice candle holders over there ".
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:24 pm

I love them. They go in the dishwasher, they look much less formal, but you retain all the flavor/aroma advantage of a stemmed glass.

The informal look of glasses has been important in restaurants lately; there are some good places that like the formality of a simpler glass, but have ended up using juice glasses, which make the wine taste terrible.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:I still think the pinot/nebbiolo glass is ideal for a not-so-wee dram of Dalwhinnie... :D

No, no. Lagavulin. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:16 pm

MikeH wrote:Another denizen of this board, Andrew Hall, brought some to an offline. He pointed out that on a crowded table with many stems full of wine, you don't have to worry about knocking the Os over.... As far as size is concerned, even I feel less than comfortable holding the Bordeaux glass. It just feels like its on the verge of slipping out of my hand.

The crowded table thing is one of the reasons I asked this question. A friend wants to buy glasses to take to tastings, and she asked me about the stemless--I guess Crate and Barrel has some nice looking ones for about $2 a glass. She thought they'd be more practical than stemware, but she's never used one. I instead started this thread so she could read others' thoughts and also suggested the Riedel Magnums that I use instead--a pedestal instead of a stem, so low center of gravity and yet it sits up off the table which gives klutzes like me something to actually hang on to. And they're short enough for the dishwasher later.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous