The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Releases..(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Releases..(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 pm

We tasted tonight (10/10/12) SomeNewReleases:
1. TablasCreekVnyd Vermentino Estate/PasoRobles (13.1%; Rolle; 825 cs; StainlessSteel; Drk: 8/12-8/14-8/15: JH)
: Light gold color; strong mineral/chalky/earthy some floral/carnations steely/austere nose; very tart/acid
almost schreechy very mineral/chalky/steely light floral/carnations austere flavor; very long bit perfumed talc
very steely/mineral/chalky light floral/carnations/perfumed finish; a classic Ligurian Vermentino at a good price.
$21.60 (VIN)
aromatic nose; rather tart almost metallic quite spicy/floral/peach/very pear/Viog ripe really lovely flavor;
very long/lingering tart/bit lean very spicy/ripe/pear/peach/Viog/floral rather rich lovely finish; though plenty
ripe it definitely is non-DollyParton; has good acidity/structure/backbone and could use several yrs; reminds
me some of the Peay Viogs in structure & perfume; very lovely aromatics and well-worth $32.00.
rich/ripe flavor; somewhat short honeyed/honeysuckle/Rouss bit soft/rich/ripe/lush finish; rather Jaffurs-like
w/o the toasty/oak; seems much more ripe than 13% would suggest; not as lean/hard as previous one; quite good
Rouss for $24.00 (VIN)
pleasant Soave. $25.00
flavor w/ some tannins and slight bitterness; long bit bitey/tannic strong bright/pretty/raspberry/strawberry/
Grenache some toasty/oak finish; lots of very pretty Grenache fruit w/ some hard/bitey tannins. $38.00
structured/hard rather plummy/blackberry/Syrah strong toasty/charred/oak/smokey finish; a big/intense/structured
wine that needs 3-8 yrs; speaks of ripe Syrah but not the BennettVlly cold-climate Syrah and not sure what the
Merlot brings to this blend; takes a bit of a leap of faith that this will something special w/ age. $65.00
plummy bit licorice/garrigue/SouthernRhonish slight alcoholic quite attractive nose; fairly tart big/strawberry/
Grenache/plummy/blackberry some earthy/rustic/SouthernRhonish spicy/garrigue/rosemary fairly tannic flavor; very
long some hard/tannic licorice/strawberry/Grenache/blackberry some earthy/rustic/Rhonish/garrigue finish; needs
some 5-10 yrs; more Beaucastel-like than the Esprit; a big rough/rustic red. $36.00 (VIN)
flavor; med.long rather hard/tannic blackberry/black cherry/RCCola/licorice light smokey/sauvage/rustic/grapey
finish; much more perfumed & fragrant and not the hard/coarse tannins of a Madiran; quite interesting red.
$32.00 (VIN)
somewhat plummy/grapey/strawberry/licorice very aromatic/spicy lovely nose; rich/lush very balanced/structured
strong plummy/licorice/strawberry/bright/vibrant flavor w/ smooth/polished tannins; very long/lingering strong
plummy/strawberry/licorice/vibrant very balanced/structured finish w/ smooth/velvety tannins; not a big/
powerful/dramatic/bombastic statement of a wine but an impeccable/seamless balance that will easily take it
out the 20 yrs Jason rrecommends; beautiful Rhone blend. $44.00 (VIN)
light toasty/smokey/oak flavor; very long licorice/blackberry/Syrah/blueberry/pungent some cracked pepper/cold-
climate light toasty/charred/oak somewhat hard/tannic/structured finish; needs age; a very/very good cold-
climate Syrah at a more than fair price. $38.00
flavor w/ modest tannins; med.long lightly tannic bright/spicy/blackberry/Syrah light toasty/oak finish; not
as intensely cold-climate Syrah and almost Zin-like in its spicy fruit; needs a few yrs; quite an attractive
Rhone blend for a very attractive price; not yet released at $18.00
pungent/burning metal pleasant enough nose; rather tart/angular/acidified bright raspberry/blackberry/Zin bit
spicy/earthy/dusty/OV pleasant flavor; med. rather tart/almost schreechy bright/blackberry/raspberry/Zin/simple
strong vanilla/Am.oak w/ light tannins; has a sharp/piercing acidity as if acidified but apparently was not;
a pleasant simple Zin now that I suspect will put on weight w/ age and become much more interesting.
$28.00 (Z-List)
spicy bright/blackberry/Zin/raspberry rather dusty/OV light smokey/toasty/oak beautiful/aromatic/perfumed nose
that speaks more of DryCreekVlly than it usually does; very tart beautiful very spicy/blackberry/Zin/raspberry
light vanilla/toasty/oak some tannic/structured flavor; very long/lingering dusty/OV/light earthy very spicy/
blackberry/Zin/raspberry/bright strong DCV somewhat tannic/structured light vanilla/smokey/oak beautiful
finish; a classic/quintessential LS Zin; one of the best I can recall at this point on release; can only get
better for ?? yrs; may be a 20 yr Zin. $36.00 (Z-List)
smokey/pungent/toasty/oak almost coarse very dusty/OV interesting nose; bit soft some tannic/hard/angular rather
earthy/dusty/OV bit coarse/sauvagestrong blackberry/Zin/licorice/DrPepper some herbal/rosemary some vanilla/
smokey/oak flavor; very long bit tannic/hard/angular rather dusty/OV strong blackberry/Zin/licorice/DrPepper/
root beer rather dusty/OV some smokey/vanilla/oak finish w/ ample tannins; speaks less of Zin and more of
Alicante than some previous ones; should develop into a wonderful Pagani eventually. $35.00 (Z-List)
pungent some chocolatey/blackberry/black cherry/RCCola slight herbal/rosemary complex bit cedary/oldZin nose;
soft very smooth/polished some blackberry/black cherry/RCCola some cedary/pencilly/oldZin light smokey/oak
lovely complex flavor w/ no tannins; very long/lingering gentle/blackberry/Zin/RCCola smooth/polished/elegant
some cedary/pencilly/oldZin finish w/ little tannins; a smooth/balanced/gentle oldZin that has good complexity
and come together quite nicely; in the twilight of its years but still absolutely delicious. $24.00 (ATP)
________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual blatherings from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Vermentino: This Tablas Vermentino seemed like a departure from their previous versions. Which usually seemed
to be a Calif expression of Vermentino. This '11 had a steely/austere character that much more resembled the
Ligurian expression of Vermentino. I think it really needs more age and I expect it to go out beyond Jason's
2015 drinking window.
included them in a tastings of Calif Rhones I do; except for laziness, I suppose. Jim queried me about that
oversight last Spring & I told him I'd love to try them w/ my tasting group. So a month ago, he sent me these
wines to try w/ my tasting group.
This tasting of Jim's wines was even better than I expected. The Gloria'sGem was a wine I didn't quite
understand the reason behind and seemed a bit pricey for what it was...but all the rest were very good wines
and fairly priced. The Viognier was one of the best Calif Viogniers I've had this yr. The Syrah was an
excellent example of cold-climate Syrah and as good as any I've had this yr as well. The BennetVlly is a
rather cold-climate growing area and I don't think the wines receive the recognition they truly deserve.
found the wine quite light raspberry, loaded w/ diactyl/buttered popcorn, "pleasant but unthrilling", and saw
no potential for it whatsover. Paul's drinking window was confirmation of that assessment I thought. So I stuck
the 2'nd btl away and forgot about it. Who'd of thunk it'd be this good. Friggin' ATP wines.
given us some impressive wines. The LyttonSprings has an amazing spiciness to it and strikes me as one of the
best LS's in yrs. The Pagani is often my favorite Ridge Zin because of the dusty/sauvage character it often
shows, presumably from the high Alicante content. This '10 version diidn't seem to have the intensity of
blackberry/boysenberry fruit it's shown in the past; but I'm confident it, too, will age into another great
Pagani. The Ponzo didn't particularly thrill me, but it often has this way of coming around and I expect
this '10 version will as well.
seem sort of muddled and pointless...they often leave me scratching my head..."it must be Monday...let's make
a Rhone blend". When I try the Esprit...I never get that feeling. "Seamless" is about the best word to describe...
everything put together in exactly the right proportions...sorta like looking at a lovely piece of finely-crafted
woodworking.
PasoWestSide is pretty much known for making big/bombastic/showy/overblown wines. The Tablas wines very rarely
are described by those words. Restraint and understated are much better suited for the Tablas wines. One of
my favorite wineries in all Calif and I'm always excited to receive their new release.
Tom