The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 am

1970 Ridge Zinfandel Jimsomare
Blind tasted at Spencer's last night, this was more than a little puzzling. Initially there was a mustiness that seemed corky, but turned out just to be bottle funk. Once that blew off there was this very bright red fruit, a mushroomy quality and ultimately some herbs as well. Interesting! On the palate things were a little more funky. The red fruit and herbs were still there, but they were very spiky, almost volatile. The acids were incredibly bright, and the age of the wine (in retrospect) showed in the finishing alcoholic burn, as there just was not enough stuffing left to cover up the 15.8% alcohol (per the revealed label). Still this was a fascinating experience, if not the most successful showing for a bottle of wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Holy $hit...

by TomHill » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am

David M. Bueker wrote:1970 Ridge Zinfandel Jimsomare
Blind tasted at Spencer's last night, this was more than a little puzzling. Initially there was a mustiness that seemed corky, but turned out just to be bottle funk. Once that blew off there was this very bright red fruit, a mushroomy quality and ultimately some herbs as well. Interesting! On the palate things were a little more funky. The red fruit and herbs were still there, but they were very spiky, almost volatile. The acids were incredibly bright, and the age of the wine (in retrospect) showed in the finishing alcoholic burn, as there just was not enough stuffing left to cover up the 15.8% alcohol (per the revealed label). Still this was a fascinating experience, if not the most successful showing for a bottle of wine.

Holy $hit, David...'70 Ridge Jimsomare. It, like me, was a legend in its time. It sounds, unlike me, that it's still alive & kicking.
I last had this wine about '96 and it still was doing pretty good. Sounds like it's still clinging to life here. Like most 15%+ Zins,
when they get old the alcohol comes to the forefront. And oftentimes they show a lot of raisened/pruney character. But the
acid on this wine (no RS as I recall) is probably what saved it.
Thanks for the TN on an old friend here.
Tom
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

by James Dietz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Oldest Jimsomare Zin I have is now the 1986. And according to CT, I have the only bottle in (CT) existence!! Not sure if that is good or bad.

I had the 1970 from both a 750 and a mag a couple of years back in a vertical tasting at the White House (no, not THE White House). The mag was still showing quite well.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Re: WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

by Patrick Martin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Ridge is the king. Long live the king (as they are so long lived)!

That said, my only 70's Ridge wines have been petite sirah, which seem capable of going another 30 years...