The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Basque and Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN:Basque and Burgundy

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Friday Betsy was planning an early dinner (she was playing and I was hosting my local group), she called to ask for a cup or more of dry white wine. I said anything white on the top shelf of the "anything goes" rack, thinking that I had a Pernot Bourgogne, a Haut-Rian Bdx blanc, and the rest reds. But discovered my lone bottle of the 2005 Ameztoi (Getariako Txakolina) had been plundered. Not a biggie as far as $$$, but I was looking forward to this and wouldn't have planned this wine as a Bolognese ingredient (or accompaniment). But I did enjoy the remaining couple of glasses. This Txakoli (I've seen the wine referred to as Txakoli, Txacoli, and Txakolina, someone can explain Basque to me later) is quite
lemony, with a spritzy edge. There's a Muscadet-like salinity/minerality to the wine, I like a lot, and will add to my next order. B+

Betsy was playing Sat night, but not the matinee- she would be home for dinner, but had appointments to keep her from cooking. I made marrow bones with a caper/parsley salad followed by duck breast over greens with a red wine sauce. The wine was the 2003 Joseph Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne Pinot Noir. Pricewise, this wine is intended to be a step up from the LaForet, I paid $18. The ripeness of the vintage is compensated for by Drouhin's stylistic reserve. Nice ripe cherry and raspberry fruit, decent acidity, nice finish. Some tannins but ripe and fine. With time some floral and cola (which I associate with new oak, but didn't get any other new oak aromas) emerge. I didn't really care for the 2002 of this but the 2003 is better (can't remember another Burgundy I'd say that about!). B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN:Basque and Burgundy

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:46 pm

discovered my lone bottle of the 2005 Ameztoi (Getariako Txakolina) had been plundered. Not a biggie as far as $$$, but I was looking forward to this and wouldn't have planned this wine as a Bolognese ingredient..But I did enjoy the remaining couple of glasses

I agree, this wine is so invigorating and pleasurable, it seems a bit of a waste to use for cooking.

But with only 1 cup going into the sauce, you should have had more than a couple of glasses remaining?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:57 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I've seen the wine referred to as Txakoli, Txacoli, and Txakolina, someone can explain Basque to me later

Txakolí rocks. I get to taste all too infrequently, but it really is a wine I enjoy. I gave away my Basque grammar and dictionary to a friend who needed them more than for just curiosity. IIRC, Txacoli is not a possible spelling, so if you've seen that it's just wrong. The Basque spelling is Txakolí, the Spanish spelling would be Chacoli (could that be where you get the "c" from?). Also, IIRC the -na was some sort of nominal ending, so it is more a matter of how the word relates to the word "Getariako". Standing alone, it should be referred to as Txakolí. Of course since I don't have the grammar anymore, I can't txek, so all of what I've written based on memory could be wrong...

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:56 am

Rahsaan,
she probably used a cup and a half (adding as it cooks down), leaving about a half bottle. She got a glass, I got two. It wasn't the amount so much as not being able to pair appropriately that bothered me. My own fault, and from now on I'm going to specify what to grab.

Otto,
thanks for lesson. Not sure where I saw Txacoli, but will be sure to say Txakoli from now on. :)