Redskins Reserve - I don't expect much.

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Redskins Reserve - I don't expect much.

Postby Jon Peterson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 am

Yesterday I bought a bottle of "Redskins Reserve" Cabernet. It is a commemorative bottle for the 80th anniversary of the Washington Redskins football team. It was "handcrafted" by Goldschmidt Vineyards from Alexander Valley fruit picked in 2011. 14.1 % abv. ~$30.
My feeling is that folks in the DC area will buy this, as I did, for the relationship it has to the football team reguardless of the quality of the wine. I am not familiar with Goldschmidt Vineyards or with "Wine by Design" which also appears on the back label and is defined as "A lifestyle marketing agency."
Anybody care to hazard a guess as to the quality of this cab? I, for one, am not expecting much.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Re: Redskins Reserve - I don't expect much.

Postby Howie Hart » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:00 pm

A 2011 vintage released for a CalCab this early is quite a stretch.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Jon Peterson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Very good point, Howie.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Drew Hall » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:29 am

I think you might be surprised, Jon, Nick Goldschmidt imo produces some very good, everyday wines at reasonable prices. His '07 and '09 Fidelity are delicious for the $12 mark.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/lifestyles/food-dining/2012/sep/16/tdflair05-vines-and-wines-redskins-reserve-upcomin-ar-2200629/
Drew Hall
Wine guru

Postby Jon Peterson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 am

Drew Hall wrote:...Nick Goldschmidt imo produces some very good, everyday wines at reasonable prices.

Since my purchase, Drew, I've been doing some reading and I think you are right. I'll open this bottle only after a winning season, however, and I hope it's this year.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Redwinger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am

Just like its namesake the Washington Redskins, don't expect much and you'll not be disappointed <again>.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 am

Tasting note without benefit of tasting from a die hard Redskins fan (me): Racy & wild on the attack, it unfortunately finishes short, with little back end structure, ultimately dashing hopes for a more satisfying end result.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Matt Richman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm

As another die hard Redskins fan I'll guess that this wine is young with a lot of potential. I'm sure the legs are extraordinary. Not a great finish at the moment, but with a real future. Lots of bacon if you know what I mean. Probably overpriced, but will eventually pay off for the patient.
Matt Richman
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Matt Richman wrote:As another die hard Redskins fan I'll guess that this wine is young with a lot of potential. I'm sure the legs are extraordinary. Not a great finish at the moment, but with a real future. Lots of bacon if you know what I mean. Probably overpriced, but will eventually pay off for the patient.

Would you advise "trading up" to get it? :wink:
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Jon Leifer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

a speedy wide receiver and a hard hitting running back wdn't hurt the new QB is terrific but needs some help
Jon
Jon Leifer
Ultra geek

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Jon,

The Redskins number 1 running back (Alfred Morris) has 658 yards rushing in 7 games. That means he is on pace for 1,500 yards for the season. I don't think running back is their problem.

Their problem is a mediocre defense due to being decimated by injury.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Jon Leifer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm

am concerned re what happens if Morris and/or RG get injured, hence the request for another running back, too late to get another similiar quality QB....Not sold on Morris as yet tho his YTD numbers are indeed promising
Jon
Jon Leifer
Ultra geek

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

How can you not be sold on a guy who is 1 yard from the league lead nearly half way through the season?

Frankly I think you might be asking a bit much. It sucks that Helu was injured, but that pretty much goes with the flow of this year's team. Orakpo & Carriker are much bigger losses given how Morris has stepped up.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to The Wine Forum