The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Woodward Canyon Estate Red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 2005 Woodward Canyon Estate Red

by Jim Grow » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 pm

I opened this singleton with eggplant parmesan and it was quite excellent. Deep purple with a slight brick color at the rim, the nose was full of dusty mulberry and light plum. The palate lost the dusty quality but retained the fruit notes adding a hint of cinnamon, all enveloped by great smoothish tannins. I think this wine is still 3-5 years from peak but very enjoyable now. The blend was 68% Merlot,15% Cab. Franc, 11% Cab. Savuignon and 6% P.V. I guess this might quality for the November Wine Focus. Lots of chunky sediment and abv of 14.4%. Hey Jenise, I figure you have been there so; is there an actual canyon named Woodward where the winery is located? I only ask as I love gorges/canyons/cliffs/water falls etc. and this may spur me on to get out to beautiful Walla Walla some day.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Woodward Canyon Estate Red

by Jenise » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Jim,

Woodward Canyon is one of my favorite WA producers and so it's no surprise to me that you enjoyed the wine. I've only visited once, and below is a picture from that trip. The winery is as beautifully down to earth and unpretentious as the wines are. And yes, there IS actually a Woodward Canyon about three-four miles from the winery itself where owner/winemaker Rick Small's family has had property for years, though I'm told it's rather bitty. The estate vineyards were planted there in the 70's.

DSC04184.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov