The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Alsace, Burgs, Rheingau etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Alsace, Burgs, Rheingau etc

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Last week left off the 2010 Berro Chardonnay (Piedmont). Light, innocuous, a bit dilute with mild appley flavors. This was mainly used as a cooking wine, and for that it has enough acid, so at $5 happy to have around. But I wouldn’t generally open except as the cooking wine. C+

Some of my volunteer leaders are friends, and I know a lot of them from meetings or their picking up supplies, but many are to me are unknown faces( I interact a lot, but by phone or email). One of these latter leaders was from an NYC high school; I knew from conversations he was a former Wall Streeter who decided to give back by becoming a teacher. Then a few months this guy happened to mention doing Midnight Run while having dinner with Michael, prez at Zachys Auctions, and Michael informed him that I was a winegeek. So we decided we should meet face to face, and he invited me to dinner at Moscato in Scarsdale Thursday.

I figured this was a semi-business meeting, and would have been happy with a glass of house wine, but my new friend shows up with a couple of pretty impressive bottles:

2010 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey “Les Genevrieres” Meursault (375 ml)
This has plenty of Meursault fullness/richness, but with a lively acidity that keeps it nervy and fresh. Lots of lemony citrus over some more plush fruits and hazelnut, quite long. A-

2000 G. Mascarello “Monprivato” Barolo
This isn’t a great Monprivato- it is rather soft (by Monprivato standards), moderate acids and easy supple tannins. But not-great Monprivato is still pretty serious wine! Rich black cherry fruit, some smoke, violets. Good length, this is already drinking well, and while I doubt it’s a real longtermer,I’d guess it will be quite good for another 10-15 years. Monprivato one can drink at 12 is a kinda fun thing! B+

Friday I took Betsy to Stamford (she caught Amtrak to Boston), then came home for a late dinner. She had picked me up a bento box in afternoon- miso soup, a little salmon, sashimi, sushi, salad, etc. Wine was the 2001 Trimbach Pinot Gris Reserve Personnelle. Rich, honied, pear and apricot fruit, touch of petrol,excellent length, just a hint of RS. Very impressive wine, yet somehow it didn’t really sing to me- but that’s not unusual for me, I seem to not have a real affinity for PG. B (but guessing others would rate higher)

Saturday I did a speech in Brooklyn, when I got home threw together a quick dish of seared halibut in a caper/shallot/white wine sauce, with the 2010 Francois Carillon Bourgogne blanc.Zippy, much more acid than the 2009 of this, all bright citrus with white flowers & mineral (and a hint of mushroom!).. Fresh, bright, and in balance. B+

Tonight Betsy and Iris arrived (Iris is spending the night with us before continuing to Brooklyn). I was in charge of dinner-grilled sockeye salmon in a teriyaki-ish marinade, potatoes, broccoli, and an arugula/tomato/avocado salad. A couple of wines

2010 Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Spatlese
Limeade and creamsicle, very good acids, sweet, big but lively. B/B+
2007 Chandon de Briailles “Ile des Vergelesses” Pernand-Vergelesses 1er

Good acids, smooth tannins, bright cherry and raspberry fruit, earth and a little meat, gets better and better with air, nice length. Could use some time, but quite tasty now once it gets some air. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.