The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine clubs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Wilhelm Pettersson

Rank

Just got here

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:15 am

Wine clubs

by Wilhelm Pettersson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:45 am

Hello,

I'm doing a project in school about wineclubs and I was wodering if some of ou would like to help me out, I've been browsing the web some but I only find commercialized wineclubs. What I am looking for is something more like the berry bros & rudd.

Would appriciate all help i could get.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Wine clubs

by Ian Sutton » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 am

Wilhelm
I probably need some more clarification.

Berry, Bros and Rudd are an old established UK wine merchant and thus I'm presuming you're talking about wine tasting events at the upper echelons of the wine scale.

If so, then see if your local library has a copy of one of Michael Broadbents 'Vintage Wine' books. They're weighty tomes and the latest one came out about 5 years ago (subtitled 50 years of tasting wine). Throughout he has various references to informal, private and commercial tasting groups.

For an alternative commercial but high end group, look up Linden Wilkie's fine wine experience, which are structured tastings of some grand old wines.

Then have a look at wine sites that run 'off-line planners'. I can't recall if there's one here, but the UK wine pages forum and the forum on Robert Parkers wine site will both give an idea of the sorts of private tastings that go on.

I hope I understood the question correctly and I hope this helps

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine clubs

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:28 am

Wilhelm,

This group is always happy to help students, but we have to understand your objective better. It sounds like Ian thinks you're talking about wine tasting groups, not merchant-based wine sales programs where by joining their club you agree to receive (and pay for, of course) a shipment of two bottles a month, say. Most people are members of at least one of the former. More information about your task and some sample questions would help us help you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov