The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sonoma Coast Gap

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Sonoma Coast Gap

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 pm

2011 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Delicious young Pinot Noir. There's lots of raspberry and cranberry fruit, along with a mouth watering acidity. The wine is only medium bodied, so it's quite refreshing, and each sip invites the next. Right now the fruit is so fresh and forward that there's not much else coming out, but who cares!

On a personal note, it's been two years since that little knock on my head that screwed up my tasting abilities. The recovery road has been incredibly slow and frustrating. This wine marked the first time in over two years that I could clearly, obviously pick out specific berry fruit in a wine. There was no guessing, it was there in front of my face. I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's an oncoming blind tasting rather than a train!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Sonoma Coast Gap

by Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2011 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Delicious young Pinot Noir. There's lots of raspberry and cranberry fruit, along with a mouth watering acidity. The wine is only medium bodied, so it's quite refreshing, and each sip invites the next. Right now the fruit is so fresh and forward that there's not much else coming out, but who cares!

On a personal note, it's been two years since that little knock on my head that screwed up my tasting abilities. The recovery road has been incredibly slow and frustrating. This wine marked the first time in over two years that I could clearly, obviously pick out specific berry fruit in a wine. There was no guessing, it was there in front of my face. I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's an oncoming blind tasting rather than a train!

Congrats on the recuperation, David. What a long, torturous road that must have been. On my one visit to Wind Gap, I loved their Pinot Noir (it was the '09 Crown and Griffin's Lair)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Sonoma Coast Gap

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm

After two years, that must have been delicious berry fruit indeed! I lost my sense of smell for 9 months once (undiagnosed sinus infection), and it returned as a city bus blew by me. Diesel exhaust never smelled so good. Glad to hear you're on the upswing.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !