The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Zin LyttonEast 2003...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Zin LyttonEast 2003...

by TomHill » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Just got my ATP shipment last week & thought I'd try:
1. Ridge Calif Zin LyttonEast (18% PS, 6% Grenache, DryCreekVlly; 15.1%; 54 brls; Drk: 1/05-1/10-1/15) 2003: Black color; very intense blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/Zin light vanilla/Am.oak very spicy loads of Zin fruit nose; big rather tannic intense blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/Zin extracted light oak very spicy flavor; very long/lingering intense blackberry/boysenberry/Zin light oak finish w/ strong tannins; big huge heaps of Zin fruit but plenty of structure for the long haul. $28.00 (ATP)
1. Bingo....every so often Paul & John hit one outta the park. Well..they really hammered this one over the fence. One of the best Ridge Zin since...the StoneRanch probably. Very un-Ridge in that it doesn't have the usual Draper perfume or complexity right out of the gate. Just huge spicy Zin fruit, but not at all overripe or jammy. Reminds me of some of their (they being Draper/Bennion...John Olney was just a wee tyke then) Zins from the early '70's, maybe the Occidental. This is one Ridge we're going back for more on. Not to be missed.
Tom