The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nice Ontario Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Nice Ontario Pinot

by Tom N. » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Clear ruby red. Expressive nose of earthy tart cherries with notes of red and black raspberries. Luscious midpalate with smooth tannins, juicy acidity and dark cherries with raspberry notes echoing the nose. Medium long finish of cherry preserves and nice tannins. Beautifully balanced. Great sipper. One of the best Ontario pinots I have every tried. Also ranks right up there with some of the best pinots i have had from Oregon and California.

Great with grilled marinated pork loin steaks. Even better with pickled beet salad topped with walnuts, goat cheese and crispy fried shallots (Balsamic vinagrette) the salad brings out the beet root in the wine.

Wine
2010 Norman Hardy County unfiltered pinot noir 11.9% abv. Even at $35/bottle, I bought a half a case from the winery.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Nice Ontario Pinot

by John S » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Good to see a County wine doing so well. Hardie is definitely one of the best wineries in this nascent region.
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: Nice Ontario Pinot

by Tom N. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

John S wrote:Good to see a County wine doing so well. Hardie is definitely one of the best wineries in this nascent region.

I agree, Norman Hardie is definitely one of the better Prince Edward County wineries. A friend gave me one of their 2010 chardonnays, and I am nearly an ABC person, and I liked it. That was why I decided to try his pinot noir. Good decision!
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.