The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you use different wine glasses for different wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Do you use different wine glasses for different wines?

by ChaimShraga » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

This is a true story.

One of my wine tasting groups is composed of hardcore Burgundy freaks, led by a young local soccer player who can quote the number of rows each producer has in each cru. I don't think even the French League has such devoted wine lovers playing in it.

So, anyway, we're at one of our favorite Tel Aviv restaurants, Bertie, all set to drink some Puligny Premiers and some red Grand Crus. And the place has great stemware - but they're all Bordeaux glasses!

So Daniel confers with his Bourgogne hardcores, and they call up one of Daniel's cronies, Maoz, who owns his own restaurant - this is, a direct competitor with the place we're all sitting in, you get this part, right? - and Maoz is another Burgunsy freak and he sends us a six pack of Burgundy glasses via taxi!

The fringe benefit of all this is that now my face is recognized in the restaurant we're sitting in and I'm now on their radar so I'm usually exempt of corkage fees. Because they love wine geeks at Bertie.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 pm

I definitely use different glasses. I use 4 types. A burgundy glass for all pinots. A bordeaux glass for all other reds. A generic white glass and flutes. My flutes are mixed types, but I have at least 8 of all other glasses. Not sure how much difference the other glasses make but I definitely notice the difference in using a burgundy glass for pinot vs a generic red or white glass. I use Schott Zwiesel glassses for my red glasses.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Have to admit that after reading these posts, I took down our Chardonnay glasses tonight for our '10 Glenora Finger Lakes Chardonnay. Matched with sauteed flounder fillets, pilaf, and green peas. It was worth it. They did a lot for the wine.
Previous